chapter 27 - part 1

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward" - Søren Kierkegaard

{A/N: Sorry for being terribly late in uploading this chapter, to make it up for it, I got a gift for yall - this is a DOUBLE UPDATE (which means two chapters) so after this, don't forget to read the next chapter!}

27.

Vivian

"Beta Jonathan?"

"Yes, Alpha?"

"I have to go someplace with Alpha Ethan for a while, keep an eye on the pack."

"Yes, Alpha."

"And if anyone asks..."

"Don't worry, no one will know."

This was the best quality of Jonathan as a Beta - he never asked questions or got suspicious. And most importantly, he always had your back.

"Thank you." I concluded the mind-link conversation and fell in line with Ethan's pace. We both didn't speak as we continued to walk. The quietness caressed my skin like a gentle, summer breeze. Silence hung in the air, just like a glass in mid air before it falls and shatters on the ground. This silence was like a gaping hole, urging to be filled with sounds, or words - any form of verbal expression. Having enough of it, I decided to break the peace and quiet that surrounded us.

"So...,"

I turned my face towards him and found him already looking at me. Realising I caught him mid-stare, he immediately shifted his head forward, a faint blush spreading on his face.

"So...," he started, "where would you like for me to begin?"

"Right from the beginning," his gaze fell on my lips, "How and why are we at this stage - what led to it? Tell me everything."

He nodded and turned to face the front once again.

"You must already be familiar with how long it has been since an Alpha-blooded female was born and how there was only one of them who had an Alpha as a mate, but what was never made public knowledge was the fact that she was murdered."

My eyebrows raised in shock and my brain stuttered for a minute. Murdered? I had heard stories of Eira, the last female Alpha, in my childhood and in the school through history books but always thought the cause of her demise was natural.

"Only a few know the reason behind it - her mate was an Alpha, just like us." His stormy grey eyes connected with mine, "It was a direct threat for Lycans and their rule on the werewolves which is why they decided to take the matter in their own hand - resulting in the murder of the Alpha female and her mate."

"Why didn't their packs take revenge?"

"How could they? No one had any proof of the culprits, even though they knew who was to be blamed. The history books were also altered by the Lycans so no one could ever find it out. It was then collectively decided by our forefathers to keep Lycans as far from our land as possible. They couldn't take revenge, not when there was no proof, so this was the second best option - to keep their future pack safe. From then onwards, it was ingrained in every mind that Lycans were dead, just in case there ever does come a day when another female Alpha is born, both communities would remain uninformed. All they had to do was obey the Lycan laws so there was no interruption from their part."

It took me a while to process the information that was being handed out to me.

"Your birth surprised a lot of people, according to my father," he continued, "Not only because it happened after two hundred years but because no one knew who your mate was and if it will be a threat to the rule of Lycans. Your father was fiercely protective of you, something you must've noticed. You never attended pack meetings or parties. You never left your pack, neither were the sons of Alphas allowed to enter your pack. Your dad was extremely strict about it. This was all kept under wraps; only the Alphas knew it. They couldn't risk your identity, they couldn't risk the Lycans finding out that a female Alpha was born who might overthrow their rule."