21

in the morning, i walked down to the garage. bucky stood in there, leaning against the doorframe, he looked sad but when he saw me he put on a smirk.
"how come you weren't in your room?" he asked. i scowled at him and got into the car, still rubbing my eyes from the lack of sleep.
"tired?" bucky asked, i replied with a yawn and started up the car.

the little mission, consisted of a lot of arguing, more than usual. especially since i was angry because i had barely gotten any sleep. i went into the building by myself, leaving him outside like last time. also jumping out of windows seemed like they were becoming a regular thing because that's what happened. a man charged at me so i jumped. expecting to meet the bonnet of a car again or maybe even the hard ground, i was caught in a pair of strong arms.

i opened my eyes to see bucky staring down at me angrily. without a word, i jumped out of his arms and made my way to the car.
"y/n what the fuck?" bucky shouted behind me, i continued walking.
"i'm talking to you" he said sternly, yet again, i ignored him. before i could start the car up, bucky grabbed my arms and turned me towards him.
"what?" i spat, attempting to pull my arms out of his grip.
"you're going to get yourself killed" he hissed. i scoffed and continued struggling,
"okay? at least you'd get a new partner" i replied.
"who the hell says i want a new partner?" he scoffed.
"well i do" i replied angrily and pulled my arms out of his grip.
"i didn't kill your sister" he said softly, i froze and turned my head,
"that's not fucking funny barnes" i warned.
"it's not supposed to be.. because i didn't. there's more than one winter soldier out there, i was just framed because i was in the country at the same time" he explained.

i scoffed at him and gripped the steering wheel. tears threatened to spill from my eyes,
"what the hell is wrong with you?" i asked, my anger and sadness getting the best of me as i shoved him harshly. he shook his head with his jaw clenched.
"ask steve okay?..just ask steve" he said. we said nothing after that and made our way back.

the second we got back, i grabbed steve and pulled him into my bedroom.
"did bucky kill my sister or did some other winter soldier do it?" i asked. steve shuffled a bit but then explained how a few weeks ago they found out that it wasn't bucky. i was angry, so so angry. why hadn't anyone told me?
"okay" i finally said.
"y/n.." steve began saying as an act of comfort. i shook my head and gave him a smile,
"why didn't he just tell everyone at the beginning?" i asked, shaking my head in disbelief.
"i don't know y/n, i don't know".

i sat there for hours, not moving. pepper came in and sat on the edge of my bed and pulled me into a hug. i sighed into her chest as she threaded her fingers through my hair.
"maybe i should resign.. if that's even possible" i murmured after drying my partially wet eyes. pepper gave me a soft smile and shook her head slightly,
"they need you and you know that" she cooed and kissed the top of my head before leaving.