29

"what's with you and throwing parties?" i groaned, plopping down on a seat as i watched tony stare at some blueprints.
"y/n. it's my for birthday" he said as if it was the best explanation in the world. i stared at him unamused,
"do i have to come?" i asked, staring at the tattered converse which were on my feet. he knocked my legs off the table and gave me a scowl,
"of course you do, everyone has to be there" he sighed before getting up and ushering me out of the lab.
"wait wait wait, is it like formal?" i asked, halting to a stop. he pinched the bridge of his nose and shoved me out the door,
"of course it is" he tutted and closed the door.

a few hours later, after buying a dress. i opened my window and sat on the ledge, my legs swinging over the city beneath me. the cold air nipped at my skin as i flicked through a book, my mind in a completely different world. i was so absorbed in the book that i hadn't even heard my bedroom door opening.
"you will fall, get inside" the familiar sokovian accent sliced through the words, i nearly fell at the sternness of the words. but quickly pulled myself back into my bedroom and smiled at pietro who wore a formal shirt which looked fabulous on him.
"i look good right?" he asked, presenting himself. i waved my hand in front of my face, jokingly pretending to cool myself down. he thanked me before skipping off to the party which had already started.

after pulling on an emerald green dress and spraying on some perfume. i made my way to the party, greeting all the random people i met on the way there.
"perfect" tony said, smiling at me. i chuckled and passed him the gift that i had bought for him,
"oooh thank you" he said excitedly before bouncing off. i smiled at pepper and looked at the beautiful mint coloured dress she had on,
"you look so good" i said to her, she smiled at me and returned the compliment before going back over to tony.

just like the last party, i found myself at the bar. chatting with some shield agent named samuel, he was really hot and charming to say the least.
"can i get you a drink?" he asked, looking at me up and down. i smirked at him and nodded,
"cocktail please" i said to the bartender,
"same here" samuel said, smiling at me. we talked for a while, both of us slightly tipsy from the three or four cocktails we had drank. he placed his hand on my thigh, which i didn't mind. just as he was leaning in to kiss me, a cold hand grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the room, leading me to the balcony. i tugged my arm out of the hands grasp and looked up at bucky, his eyes dark.

"what the hell?" i hissed, shoving him slightly. he said nothing and i huffed, turning on my heel to walk back to samuel, who walked around looking for me. just as i was about to go back in, bucky grabbed me and pulled me back to him. he pushed me against the balcony rails and stood behind me, his arms on either side of me, as if he was trying to hide me from samuel. i span my body around and frowned at him,
"jesus what is wrong with you barnes?" i asked, trying not to draw attention. his jaw clenched as he shook his head,
"what game are you playing huh?" he asked, narrowing his eyes slightly.
"fucking jenga" i replied sarcastically. he scoffed and stared down at me.
"seriously can you move?" i groaned, pulling at his arms.
"i don't want you hanging out with him" bucky said, nodding over to samuel who was sitting at the bar again. i shoved his arms away,
"i'll hang out with whoever i want to hang out with" i replied, crossing my arms over my chest. he looked down at the dress i was wearing, eyes twinkling slightly.
"well what about us?" he asked calmly. i shook my head and pinched the bridge of my nose.
"barnes, there is no 'us'" i hissed. his adam's apple bobbed in his throat,
"so you wouldn't mind if i went off and fucked someone?" he asked sourly. i chuckled and shook my head,
"i wouldn't give a flying fuck" i replied and walked back over to samuel who looked extremely pleased to see me.

bucky's pov

i swallowed at those words, 'there is no us'. but surely there has to be? i stared down at her sparking y/e/c eyes,
"so you wouldn't mind if i went off and fucked someone?" i asked spitefully, my eyes searching hers. she let out a short laugh and shook her head,
"i wouldn't give a flying fuck" she replied and began walking back over to that idiotic shield agent. i watched her as she walked, that beautiful green dress clung to her as if it was made for her and only her. y/n sat down beside the man, engaging in conversation immediately. i knew that their encounter wouldn't turn into anything, they'd fuck and then never speak again..right?

i stood at that balcony for the duration of the party, watching as the two laughed together. steve came over from time to time and so did pietro.
"i don't know what to do" i muttered under my breath to pietro, as y/n and the guy got up to dance. pietro stayed quiet, watching as y/n danced.
"i wish i could tell you, but it now seems impossible" he replied, letting out a little sigh. i chewed my lip and nodded. watching as he gripped her waist and she looped her arms around his neck, both dancing as if they were the only two people in the room. when the party ended, i expected the two to go off together. he stood up as if he was about to accompany y/n and she had her arm looped in his. but then, she made eye contact with me, her head tilting slightly when she saw me standing in the same spot. y/n let go of his arm, and from what i'm guessing, said goodnight. leaving him standing there. i want to hate her, i do hate her. i hate her so much that i care for her and it hurts.