Season 1 ~ Just Another School Day

That next morning, I had woken up to the phone going off loudly throughout our small house and seeing that my alarm clock hasn't gone off yet.

Slowly sitting up, I rolled out of my bed while throwing the covers to the side and making my way over to the ringing telephone that was hanging on the wall, next to a picture of Dustin and I posing for our Christmas card from last year.

"Hello?" I groggily ask the person on the other side of the phone while rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"(Y/n)?" Joyce Byers asks.

"Hi Joyce," I say. "What's up?"

"I was wondering if Will stayed the night over at your house?"

"Nope, he went home yesterday." I explain, crossing my arms while leaning against the yellow wall. "Is he not home?"

"I'm sure he just went to school early."

"Hey Joyce," I added before hanging up. "Dustin and I can look for Will on our way to school—"

"No that's okay, honey."

"Alright," I sigh. "Let me know if you need anything."

"Okay," Joyce says. "Goodbye (Y/n)."

"Bye J—"

The phone went silent, assuming she had hung up, I put the phone back into its original place, walking into the kitchen I see Dustin sitting at the kitchen table and munching on some cereal.

"Hey Dustin?" I ask, grabbing a bowl and cereal from the cabinet, placing it on the counter in front of me. "You saw Will go home last night, right?"

"Yeah I did."

I slowly nod and continue making my breakfast.
===
Since I didn't have my own car I biked a short few miles to school each day along with Dustin and his friends over to the middle school, which conveniently, was right next to Hawkins High School.

As I walked up to the school, placing my bike in the bike rack, I run into Barbara Holland, a friend of both Nancy and I.

"Hey (Y/n)!"

"What's up, Barb?" I ask her as we walk side by side up to the school.

"Nothing much." She nods as we walk into school.

After spending ten minutes at my locker talking, Barb grabs my arm, pulling me over to Nancy who was walking into the school, clutching her school books as her heels clicked against the tile floor.

"So," Barb says, leaning over to her. "did he call?"

Knowing they were talking about Steve, I sighed, looking at my feet as I felt my heart drop to my stomach.

"Keep your voice down." Nancy says.

"Did he?" Barb retorted, slightly rolling her eyes with a smile.

"I told you," Nancy says, rolling her eyes. "it's not like that."

"Well," I pipe in. "from the way he talks about you, he seems to really like you."