Season 2 ~ A Spy for the Mind Flayer

The shed.

The shed in the Byers backyard is what we were going to use for Will. Joyce suggested it was the best place for him to spy since he wouldn't know where he was.

Hopper had began by emptying anything and everything he could find, tossing them into the middle of the backyard. Nancy and I made our way inside with tape, a stapler and tarp to board the walls with as Lucas and Dustin scrounged the house for paper and old newspaper while Max, Mike and Steve were grabbing appliances from inside. Joyce and Jonathan were up front, grabbing any sheet they could find.

Grabbing the nearest ladder, I climb to the top, stapling the tarp against the wooden wall as Nancy hands me a piece of tape so it can be sturdy.

"Hey." Nancy says, looking up at me as she hands me a piece of tape. "You and Steve... I'm happy for you two."

"Thanks." I nod, smiling down at her. "You and Jonathan are cute too."

Blushing, she hands me another piece of tape as we continue our work in silence.

"What you guys did," She piped up, causing me to make my way down the ladder and face her: "helping the kids... that was... really cool."

"Yeah." I nod with a laugh, brushing my hands on my jeans. "Those little shits are real trouble, you should know."

"Believe me," She laughs. "after all those nights of babysitting them with you, I know."

Nodding, I continue my stapling as we talk about nothing and everything at the same time as the door clicks open, the kids along with Steve, Hopper and Joyce, stood with their items, ready to set up.

Standing on the ladder, Max hands me, newspapers, foil, blankets and pieces of  cardboard, making sure we cover the whole place, making it unrecognizable.

"All right," Hopper whispers. "are you ready?"

"Yeah." Joyce nods.

Seeing as we should leave, I grab Steve's hand as we walk into the house silently.

Walking in, I see Dustin standing at the window, looking out at the shed in hopes his best friend was okay.

Releasing my hand from Steve's, I nod over to Dustin as he leaves the room. Walking to the window I place my hand on Dustin's back.

"You okay?" I ask as he nods, removing his blue and white hat from atop his head.

Walking to the table, we sit down as Dustin runs his fingers through his hair, sighing loudly.

Grabbing ahold of his hand, I smile at him, trying to reassure him it was okay.

"He'll be fine." I whisper.

"I hope so." Dustin says, tears welling up in his eyes.

Reaching over, I wrap my arms around his neck, pressing a kiss to his head as I ruffle his hair, causing him to laugh.

Getting up, I make my way over to Steve's room as Dustin paces around the house. Swinging around his bat, Steve faces the wall not noticing I made my way in.

"You know," I nod, raising my eyebrows at him with a smile. "you could hurt someone with that thing."

Chuckling, Steve drops his bat and faces me, grabbing my hand and pulling me onto the couch, wrapping an arm around me as he kisses my forehead.

"I'll try to be careful with my bat." Steve says, rubbing his fingers up my arms lightly.

"I don't think you can ever be careful with a bat full of nails, Harrington." I laugh as all the lights around us start to rapidly flicker.