Season 4 ~ Running Up That Hill

The entire car ride had been silent other than Max directing Steve to the next location. "Turn here." She says.

"Here?" Dustin asked, furrowing his eyebrows at the girl, knowing full well this road lead to the cemetery.

She nodded as Steve pulled in, parking his car and Max quickly climbing out, Lucas following behind her.

"What is he doing?" Dustin asked, beginning to grab his stuff and make his way out as well.

"No," I say, stopping him. "don't follow. It will only cause more arguments."

Dustin sighed, leaning his head against the leather seat behind him. Looking out the window, I see Max storming away from Lucas as he makes his way back to the car, leaning against it.

"Wait here." I say as I climb out and make my way next to Lucas.

"What's wrong?" I ask, placing a hand on his shoulder as he looks down.

"Max." He says, sighing as he crosses his arms. "She's been so distant lately. I don't know how to keep up."

I remove my hand from his shoulder. "Listen, I know you care about her, I do too and so does everyone else, but we need to give her some space and she'll come to us and tell us what's wrong. We shouldn't be trying to force something out of her that she's not ready to talk about yet."

Lucas let out a small sniffle as he nodded his head. "You're right. I just... I just love her so much and don't want to lose her."

"I know." I say, pulling him into a hug. "You won't lose her."

He smiled as we let go of the hug, taking a deep breath. "Thanks for the talk."

I smile back at the boy. "No problem. I'm always here for you."

He let out a small laugh as the door behind us clicked open, Steve climbing out of the drivers seat. "All right, it's been long enough."

"Steve," Lucas says. "Just give her some time."

"I have, all right, Sinclair?" Steve snaps back. "I'm calling it. If she wants to get a lawyer, she can."

Dustin looks between Lucas and I, letting out a sigh as we look at the sight ahead of us.

Steve began to shake her shoulder, his voice getting louder and louder as he called her name. "Max, Wake up!"

He began to snap his fingers in her face. "Hey, Hey Hey! Max, Wake up! Max! Wake up!"

Lucas, Dustin, and I take one last look at each other in panic "Uh, Something's wrong." Lucas says.

"No shit." I say as I begin to rush over.

"Guys!" Steve calls out as the boys rush over as well.

"Max!" I say, grabbing her shoulder that Steve let go of "Get out of there!"

"Can you hear me?" Dustin asked.

"Max!" Lucas shouted, grabbing her other shoulder. "You gotta get out of there."

Steve grabbed Dustin's grey sweater before panicking. "Call Nancy and Robin! Go get them! Call Nancy and Robin! Go!"

Dustin stumbled over to the car as Lucas and I continued to try and wake up Max. "Please Max!" Lucas cried.

"Max!" I say, beginning to shake her shoulders. "Come on!"

Steve began to snap in her face once again. "Max! Wake up!"

Minutes later, Dustin came rushing over with a hand full of music tapes. "Guys!"

"What is this?" Lucas asks as Dustin drops the tapes in front of us.