Chapter XLVII

"....How long did they say this was going to take?" Luke asked from where he was leaning against the wall beside his mother and sister, watching the door to High Command's meeting room.

"Not this long," Padmé answered. The Skywalkers had been waiting for far too long for something like a simple meeting, and the crono has long since past the time Mon had told her Valkyrie would likely be dismissed.

"Did you manage to get Mon to tell you what it was all about?" Leia questioned, glancing at her Mother.

"Like most things, it's classified to me.... But it might have something to do with the assistance we had a few weeks ago. Mon hinted at it."

"We didn't say anything about her," Luke muttered, "or Father for that matter." Padmé had to keep herself from wincing at the word.

"There were some flimsy excuses and explanations though. They did seem a bit suspicious when we gave our report," Leia whispered.

"Maybe Valkyrie said something about telling the plans to someone else," Padmé hypothesized. "That could get her into trouble."

"Why would Valkyrie do that? She'd be blasting herself in the foot," Luke commented, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Maybe she had no choice. Fulcrum may have found out."

"And what would Fulcrum get from telling on her? If Luna hadn't showed up—"

"Luna wasn't the only one in direct contact with Valkyrie," Leia pointed out.

Luke fell silent, before remembering that Vader had talked to the Rebel Warrior. "Oh. That would probably do it."

"....Maybe we should be less concerned about Luna and more concerned about how much Valkyrie's going to spill."

"She can't spill much. And it's not like we met up with him in person. Or she was there—they forbidden her from helping."

"Well, she didn't help personally, but she did help...."

"If they suspected him, wouldn't they have said something to us though?"

"Mon would have said something to me," Padmé stated, shaking her head.

"Well, hate to say it, but I do have stuff to get done with the Rogues. I'll have to head on," Luke muttered.

"We'll tell you what we learn," Leia promised. "See you at dinner."

"See you then," he said, walking off.

"....Do you think you could get in?" Padmé asked after a few minutes, glancing at her daughter.

"Mon said that only a handful of select members of command were allowed. For once, that didn't include me," the Princess responded, not looking too happy about it.

"Strange," the once Queen muttered to herself.

Not a moment later the door opened as most of High Command flowed out of the room looking somewhat disgruntled. Valkyrie and Mon Mothma were not among them.

~*~

"I have a couple dear friends who would like to speak with you, Valkyrie," Mon Mothma stated as the door closed behind Airen Cracken.

"And you wish me to have a private meeting with them?" the Rebel Warrior asked, though it sounded more like a statement.

"No."

"Then why did you request for me to remain behind?"

"Because there is something I wish to discuss separately. Ahsoka said you were a pilot but worked your way up the ranks of the Navy?"