Chapter XLIX

Padmé watched as Valkyrie landed Wedge's X-Wing in the hanger. Luke and Leia were standing at her side, studying the Rebel as she jumped out of the fighter and spoke with it's pilot.

"So, how precisely do you propose we stop her if she runs off again?" Leia asked.

"I don't think she was running from us," Padmé stated.

"Maybe she just wanted to clear her head. That's what I do when I fly," Luke suggested.

"What made her need to do that?" his sister asked.

"How would I know?"

"Well, perhaps she'll tell us if we ask," Padmé suggested as Valkyrie and Wedge's conversation seemed to come to a close. Luke stratened as the Rebel made her way towards where they were standing near the exit of the hanger. This time she didn't seem to be in a hurry.

"Excuse me, Valkyrie?" Leia called out as the veiled girl neared. Valkyrie's head turned towards them as she paused while the three Skywalkers started towards her. "May we speak with you? It's important."

"Of course, Princess," Valkyrie responded tilting her head. It was easy to imagine she was smiling welcomingly beneath the cloth over her face. "Perhaps somewhere more private?"

"Just what we were thinking," Padmé responded with a half forced smile. "I am—"

"Padmé Amidala," the girl in grey interrupted, nodding her head in a bow. "I had the fortune of growing up on Naboo. Meeting you is an honor, m'lady."

"There is no need for that. It is a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance. If we could...."

"Lead the way," Valkyrie responded. Padmé gave her a small smile and the group began to move down the hallway. "Mon Mothma mentioned you wished to speak with me."

"Did she? Did she mention what?"

"I am afraid not. She was more concerned with other details she believed I was privy to."

"Anything you can share?" Leia asked.

"That would depend on your ability to keep a secret, Princess," Valkyrie answered as she paused to gesture towards a doorway. "I believe here would do."

"Yes, it would," Padmé agreed. Without further adieu, the foursome slipped inside the abandoned workroom. Valkyrie paused once inside to close the door before turning around to look at them.

"So, what does the two most famous heroes of the Rebellion and one of Naboo's most well known Queens want with me?" the girl asked, crossing her arms as she leaned casually on a wall. Padmé took a deep breath, gathering herself.

"I heard from a relatively reliable source that you know the location of someone close to me. I was hoping you could help us find her," she finally explained.

"I'm afraid you will have to be a bit more descriptive Amidala. How reliable is this source of yours anyways?"

"Very reliable," Luke said, shooting his mother a quick look before turning back to the veiled girl. "We know you know her so it'd be nice if you skipped over the denial part of this."

"Even if I do know her, you still haven't given me a name, Commander."

"It's Luna. Luna Snow Ramsey," Padmé stated, nervously twisting her hands. Valkyrie was their only lead and the woman couldn't help but pray she would finally get answers. "But she may be going by something else. Celestia Starstrider, for instance."

"Ana Star," Leia added.

"Jinn Rose," Luke tacked on.

Valkyrie was silent for a moment in thought. "I am afraid I know of no one who goes by any of those names. Sorry I could not be of any help."

"No you do! You must know someone," Padmé half pleaded.

"I do not."

"Then here's another: Eclipse," Luke stated, crossing his arms as his eyes narrowed. "She," he nodded to his sister, "is the one who gave him your number."

"....I was wondering who was responsible for that. And here I thought the shadow had gone scurrying back. You're looking for a pale white girl with black hair, yes?" Padmé nodded. "Haven't seen her for a while and don't know when I will be again. I can pass on a message, if you'd like."

"Surely you must know something! A comm number or where she was headed to last time you saw her...." Padmé began, only for Valkyrie to hold up her hand.

"I have met her only a few times. I don't know why you think I am on any sort of terms with her."

"Vad—"

"I'll have you know Mon Mothma just accused me of being the person you are looking for," Valkyrie half snapped, cutting Luke off. "Furthermore, she accused me of reporting information to the person you had contacted me because apparently that monster has children running around the fleet, so choose your words wisely, Skywalker. I will not have someone else accusing me of being a traitor today, understood?"

"....Come again?" Padmé breathed, stunned. Mon....she knew?

"Do you have a message for me to deliver or not?"

"I-I don't...." the woman half stuttered, trying to come to terms with the news.

"Then my business here is concluded," Valkyrie said, already halfway out the door.