Chapter LXI

It's strange to think about, how water falls from the sky with no rhyme or reason. Well, there were reasons, of course. It was a natural phenomenon.

Just Luna couldn't remember having seen it before.

She was startled at first, when she walked out of the building just behind Vader to the dark sky seeming to fall on them. Her Master had made a distinct huff of annoyance upon noticing the downpour, but hadn't given the falling water any more attention.

Luna, on the other hand, had been tempted to jump at first, her mind taking a moment to figure out what was happening. The water had been cool where it hit her skin, and she could feel the large drops hitting her hood with a firmness that for whatever reason reminded her of summer afternoons.

Thunderstorms, she recalled a moment before lightning flashed in the sky, a great BOOM soon following, the latter of which caused her to jump and hurry to her Master's side, his long strides having already put what she considered too much distance between them. The thunder echoed in her mind, sounded like a massive explosion, and though Luna knew a bomb had not been the cause, she was still unnerved.

The two Sith continued through the dark streets, eventually arriving at the house that was currently acting as a place of residence. It was a strange planet they were on, one that didn't have the more advanced technology she had grown used to. Customs were different too, requiring them to stay in one of the "grand" homes of the ruling family for the duration of their stay without the usual Imperial guards. In fact, Luna hadn't seen another Imperial since they had left their shuttle.

The rain didn't help matters. The streets were empty as was the house and the only sounds were the rain, the wind, the thunder, their footsteps, and her thoughts.

Dark, damp, dreary, and cold.

Unnerving too. Luna had become used to the hustle and bustle of Coruscant and Imperial star destroyers. She knew Vader was nearby, could sense him, but despite that knowledge the entire house felt empty.

I am frightened, Luna noted to herself a moment before another peel of thunder made her flinch. She was alone in her designated bedroom now, peeling off the soaked clothing while cold air kissed her wet skin, sending goose bumps all over her body. There wasn't much lighting, and shadows flew across the room at every movement she made as the wind howled like an angry beast, warping around the house and making it creak. Of what?

She didn't have an answer as she slipped into her sleep clothes and pulled her damp hair free of the bobby-pins and other trinkets that kept the dark, wet strands from coming free of it's bun, though she did find herself wishing her Master would revert back to more the caring side she had seen in the early days—she sometimes felt so alone on his presence. It was a foolish wish, but one she took a moment to make nonetheless.

Light flashed from outside. Luna found herself instinctively mumbling, "One Mississippi, two Missi—"

"BOOM!!!" thunder interrupted as the entire house seemed to shudder. Luna jumped, an explosion in her mind's eye as her heart skipped a beat. It took a moment for her to remember where she was.

The storm's heart is close, she forced herself to note, though she didn't know how she knew. Luna turned off the lights as she slipped into the cold bed, shivering though not only due to the cold.

Thunder cracked. Luna's entire body jumped as an image forced its way into her mind. A man holding an unrecognizable weapon in a dimly lit place making the same sound. Pure terror surged through her because suddenly she knew that sound ment death and the water was rushing down and she was scared and alone and in the dark and drowning and—