Chapter CXXVI

Luna was calm as she and Luke slowly moved up the line to where they would formally greet Trios. Their cover story was excellent, as the names they were using were of a newly named aristocrat, off worlders who had taken a liking to the planet and had somehow managed to buy themselves a title. Despite this, they had yet to properly grace the court with their presence, meaning that it was easy enough to claim their identities.

The only possible issue that could come about would be Trios having met the real couple at an earlier point. But that was rather unlikely, and even if it had, Luna and Luke had done their best to at least appear related to the real couple. If questioned, they'd say they were cousins and were given permission to attend in the absence of their relations.

Whether or not that story would still lead to Luna and Luke breaking out of the palace lightsabers ablaze was another matter entirely.

Nothing that Vader's ex-Shadow and Luke Skywalker couldn't handle regardless. Even if the Emperor's Hands got wind of the situation, escape would be easy enough provided Luke was where Luna expected him to be in his training.... They really needed to spar one of these days.

Soon enough, the two Rebels were in front of the dais holding Queen Trios's throne and being introduced by the announcer with their false names.

"Hail, Her Majesty. May your reign never end," Luke said, reciting the greeting Luna had drilled into him without hesitation from the traditional bow she'd taught him. For a moment, Luna wished her own elaborate curtsy didn't prevent her from seeing Trios's face and reading the Queen's expression.

"Rise," the monarch commanded. Perhaps to another, it would have sounded authoritative, but to Luna, it was just a word that had too grand of a tone attached.

The Rebel Warrior stood to her full height, not for the first time or last wishing the corset around her chest had been made out of more comfortable material, and fixed her eyes on Trios's face. The brunette's expression was collected and thoughtful. The perfect poker face.

But Luna had dealt with queens, kings, princes, and princesses before. She knew how to read such beings. So the once Shadow saw both the suspicion and familiarity hidden in Trios's expression.

Did she recognize Luke? Luna wondered to herself. He, hands down, was probably one of the most recognizable Rebels in the galaxy if not the most recognizable from Vader's bounties. But the girl would have thought that he'd been disguised well enough. Han hadn't recognize him immediately, how could Trios?

"I do not believe we have met before," the Queen stated.

"No, Your Majesty. This is the first time we have had the honor of attending one of your celebrations," Luke answered respectfully, playing the part of dutiful subject perfectly. Luna would have loved to speak, to see if she could get Trios to slip up and glean what she was thinking, but as Luke was acting as the family head, it was not her place.

"I see. Perhaps we will be able to speak more at a later point."

"It would be the greatest honor, my Queen."

And with that, the meeting was over and the night moved on. A few hours later, after several more rather important dances no noble in their right mind would miss, Luke ducked out of the ballroom to check on Artoo's progress while Luna was tasked with ensuring that he wasn't missed. Should have been easy enough since none of the "true" nobles wanted to associate with those who had bought their title.

And yet, Luna found herself being approached by none other than the Queen herself.

"Are you enjoying the celebration?" Trios questioned.