Chapter CXXIX

"Well, how'd it go?" Ahsoka questioned as the Artemis's Illusion soared upwards and out of Shu-Torun's atmosphere.

"Artoo got the info," Luke stated, the droid agreeing with a quick chirp. "But we ended up fighting I don't know how many of the Emperor's Hands."

"That's not good. They might be onto us."

"Apparently my holo is known to the higher ups now," Luna explained. "Someone must have recognized and reported me. We didn't put as much effort into my disguise as we put into Luke's."

"The Queen?" the Rebel Jedi guessed.

"No, not Trios. She's the one who told me about it, and she wouldn't do that if she had reported me to the Imps."

"So, you managed to recruit her?" Ahsoka asked.

"I wouldn't say that," Luna responded. She didn't know why Trios had assisted them, but it was rather clear the Queen had. Even if Trios was the party responsible for informing the Hands of their presence, she had helped them escape in the tunnels. "Perhaps she just wanted me gone and knew nothing anyone threw at me would do the trick. Safer to make me in her debit than to tick me off."

"Well, it's a start I guess. Artoo, can you send the data on to Vader?"

On it, Artoo tootled.

"Good. We should attack as soon as we can. The base may be in the process of being evacuated since your cover was blown."

"I really hope not. I was hoping to try Voidgazer's trick again," Luna grumbled to herself. "Did Leia finally get a company or something together to help us?"

"She managed to gather a small team of volunteers," Ahsoka answered. "It'll be interesting."

And difficult, Luna thought to herself. Half the reason for this entire operation was to convince the Rebellion that Vader and, unfortunately, Valkyrie or Eclipse or whatever name they had taken to calling the girl were on their side and prepared to fight for the Rebellion.

Which meant they needed to be that much more conscious of allied troops since dead men could tell no tales. It had been years since Vader had worked in that mindset—probably hadn't fought a battle in that way since the Clone Wars. Luna had always been the one most conscious of their losses, and even she didn't bat an eye unless it was a group of rather useful troopers that would do far more good alive than dead or the losses outweigh the gains. One gets used to the idea of stormtroopers being expendable. Like droids.

It'd be nice if Vader still had that droid factory laying around somewhere. Where had that thing gone anyway? As she recalled, he'd moved it to the Fortress for better and more private security....

So gone. It was probably gone.

~*~

"Where in the galaxy did you get all these droids?" Padmé questioned as she studied the full room of battle droids. They were on the Tantive IV as it was the largest ship that Vader had at his disposal, the reason for which she was only just realizing.

"I stole a droid factory a few years ago," Vader answered. She just looked at him for a moment, somehow unsurprised.

"Why?"

"I needed a small army for some activities unrelated to the Empire. Lost the use for the droids when the fleet was returned to my command."

"It's lucky you held onto the factory. These droids could greatly supplement the Rebellion's forces."

"Perhaps," Vader agreed, turning away to head toward the bridge with her at his side. Padmé looked up at him, trying to figure out what he was thinking as she so often attempted—and more often than not, failed.

"....So, what is the plan of attack?" she questioned after a lengthy silence.

"If Leia is right in her belief that Ahsoka and Luke will be sent elsewhere for a different mission, I expect we will separate into two groups, the droids and Rebels being more or less equally split, at least when it comes to the smaller group. Leia and I will lead the main assault while Luna leads a smaller one into the base to cripled it from the inside. With luck it will be over quickly."

"And if it isn't?"

"Then we'll have to call in some more droids."

"Sounds simple enough I suppose. But with so many of the Emperor's servants.... Do you really think the droids will be able to handle them?"

"No," Vader stated, voice surprisingly firm. She looked up at him in surprise. "That is why Leia will be with me."

"But Luna—"

"Will know how to handle herself," he interrupted. "There's no one else I would trust the task to."

"I'm just not so sure she's ready to go back to battle, Vader. I know she's acting alright now, but...."

"She's been itching to fight something since her identity as Valkyrie was given away. It should clear her head."

"And if it doesn't?"

"We'll get to that when needed. With luck, a little bit of normalcy will be able to help things stabilize."

"I don't think I like what Luna's version of normalcy is."

"I've had my own concerns about that for years," Vader admitted. "Never really wanted her in the war."

"Then why did you let her join?" Padmé questioned, her curiosity evident.

"She's stubborn, wanted to take part the moment she learned about it, and if I was any more protective or if she didn't prove her usefulness, the Emperor would have wished to dispose of her."

"Why didn't you try to send her away?"

"I couldn't think of anywhere else safe enough."

Before their conversation could continue, there was a loud banging noise that Padmé easily recognized as a ship attaching itself to one of the ports. "What's that?"

"The Illusion has returned from recon."