Chapter CLXV

The funeral for Darth Vader and Eclipse was what Luke could only assume to be proper. Vader's body lay burning on a large funeral pyre, smoke rising through the vents of his Father's mask like an escaping spirit. Beside it was the second smaller pyre for Eclipse, though obviously the body burning was not Luna's, simply one selected off the battlefield at random to take her place. The 501st as well as Shu-Torun's forces and a few of the Alliance's people who had thought highly of Valkyrie stood together, perhaps not all in mourning but in respect.

Outside, the early morning of Naboo began to dawn as the flaming embers rose towards the twilight sky. Luke allowed the grief to crash over him as he watched.

He and Leia had returned to collect Vader's body as they had promised. Piett and Veers had arranged the decoy for Eclipse.

And Padmé had been the one to insist they held the funeral on Naboo.

Luke glanced down as a hand slipped into his own. He found himself looking at Leia, who sent him a reassuring smile before they both returned their attention to the flames. Han and Chewie stood on the Princess's other side while Ahsoka was watching the proceedings beside Luke. Padmé and Luna were the only members of their family absent, as the latter was still teetering between the edges of life and death and the former refused to leave her side.

The moment this was over, they would be parting ways. Leia, Han, and Chewie would be returning to the Alliance to continue the war. Luke was planning to follow a lead Luna had given him to a stash of Jedi knowledge, hoping to collect it for later use. With luck, it may also give him a hint as to what had happened to her. Ahsoka and Padmé would be taking Luna to Minerva, where the girl would hopefully recover.

But for now, as day dawned on Naboo, they would mourn. Together.