Birthday Song

23.

I never imagined I'd be here on my 23rd birthday, laid in Harry's arms whilst he's sound asleep. I had no intention to do so anyway.

The last birthday I had here in New York didn't feel very celebrated as Mum was busy doing work but Dad took me to the cafe after his shift. The last time we went to the cafe, in fact. 

I'm not asking for much, though, as age is just one year off your life. But I would like a 'happy birthday' message from Emma at least.

In fact, I haven't heard from her in a while. She keeps saying she's been busy and yesterday she said that her parents are over. I don't know much about her parents. The only time I've seen them, they've been amazing people and they're great to be around. They are always on business trips, though.

I think I've gotten used to the fact that I'm back in New York. It's as if I'm progressing backwards. I haven't seen my parents around anywhere but in all honesty, why would I? New York is always so alive and busy. 

I wouldn't change the experience for the world, though. I mean, I ran away from my problems, just as I do again, and again and again. So it's nice to revisit my problems. Maybe I'll resolve them. But as of now, I'm happy being held by Harry's warm arms as his face is in my hair, giving me all the warmth I need.

Harry looks so soft when he sleeps. His eyes are softly shut, and his breaths are so placid. Deep breaths, his lips look so soft and calm, if that makes sense. You would never imagine for such human being to look so angelic in his sleep.

"What are you looking at?" He croaks. How did he know? My cheeks burn up as my heart skips a beat.

I watch as he flutters his eyes open and cringes at the light shining on the bed. "How long have you been awake?" I ask, completely discarding his question.

"I just woke up," He smiles. He slowly sits up from his warm spot on the bed and hovers over my body. From there, he smiles, even more, making my stomach jitter, and my lungs fill to the brim. "Happy birthday," He smirks before lightly pecking my lips. 

He remembered.

My cheeks turn pink, he studies my neutral face before pressing his lips to mine once more, making my insides melt. He looks down at my body, guessing he wants to see if I'm decent. "Come with me," He says reverting his eyes back up to me.

"Harry, you're not even dressed yet," I say as he leaps eagerly off the bed. I quickly follow his trail to his suitcase as he picks up some random clothes and slips them on himself and then turns back to face me.

"Yes I am."

I suck in all the air I can before I exhale, placing my hands on my hips. "Where are we going?" I ask as he takes my hand and leads me to the front of the apartment to slide on his shoes. I do the same but before I have my last shoe tied up, I'm already out the door.

"Guess you'll have to find out," He smirks, trying to be smart with me. I roll my eyes as he sends a lift to come up our way.

I've just realised I'm not even dressed. 

"Harry, I need clo-" Before I finish my sentence, he hands me a slightly muted pink dress.

I look up at him in shock. "Happy birthday," He smiles. My jaw doesn't leave the floor as he continues. "First gift."

The lift doors ding open and he leads me inside. I try to shake up some thoughts in my head as the doors slowly begin to shut. "Harry where am I meant to put this on?"

"Now I guess. We've got some time." He smiles.

I shake my head no. Why would I do that? "You'll have to be quick." He says before I could speak.