The Coldest Warmth

My body freezes as my hand hovers in front of the door that I used to visit every single day.

I can't go back.

I have to do this.

"Goodbye, mum." I whisper behind the door. I look at my necklace. "Bye, dad."

The memory replays in my head so I distract myself with Harry's face. He's nervous for me. Slightly concerned. Happy. Proud. His soft smile appears, shining all the memories out of my head.

"I can do it." I whisper to myself, redirecting my attention back to the door.

Now or never.

3

2

1

I knock on the door as briefly and as swiftly as possible. I've done it. I'm going back to my unfinished chapter.

I wait for someone to answer, slightly hoping it's my dad. What if they moved out? What if this was a terrible mis-

I get cut off by the sound of the door swinging open.

"Luna?"

In utter shock, I forget to answer. I see grey strands in her once golden hair. Her eyes are big and she looks dazed.

I look behind my mother and see the apartment. It once was full of life. It now looks gloomy, a mess and overall sad.

"Mummy the house is beautiful!" I walk into a bright room.

I direct my attention to my mum's hand which is occupied with a bottle of whiskey.

My heart feels low and broken. She looks so broken.

"M-mum?" I finally answer her.

She drops the bottle, making it shatter on the hard floor, my heart jumping. She chuckles in utter disbelief.

She looks like an utter state. Broken, pale, drunk. Everything that she wasn't. But I am happy to be back, to see her face again.

"My baby... come in..." She says making my insides smile. She then tilts her head, sending a smile my way. I disregard the fact that the house is a mess as I see her arms reach out, her tears twinkling in her eyes.

My eyes also start to water as I walk into her homely arms. I feel her wobble slightly as we spin around so I'm facing the door where Harry's leaning. Our bodies entwine as I look at Harry, whose eyes are wandering around.

We back from the warm hug which made me so happy, as I watch tears leave her eyes. Her pupils are dilated most likely from the alcohol. I won't mention it, I don't want to ruin the moment I thought I'd never have again.

"Sorry, my manners," She smiles, wiping her tears from her face. She looks at Harry. "Who's this boy?" She smiles giving him a handshake, finishing off with a quick hug.

We both don't respond as she takes a second glance at Harry. "Wait-" she says in utter confusion, making me smile.

"I'm Harry." Harry smirks, showing his dimples, making my stomach float.

"Aren't you meant to be in a boy band or something?" She asks, holding his arms for leverage. "With Niall, Louis, Liam and Zack?"

"It's Zayn," He smiles, peering up at me.

"Same thing," Mum says, hugging him nice again. "Nice to meet you, I'm Joanne. Just call me Jo," She smiles.

In more confusion, she looks at me and then at Harry. "Are you dating?" She asks. I feel my cheeks go pink as she continues. "Ohh.. Married? Engaged?" I look at Harry's who's looking down at his feet, smirking at her words "Luna are you pregnant? I told you to get married before you have kids." She tells me off.