forty : you'd better

"She didn't tell you? Weird." Jin shrugs his shoulders lightly.

"I talked to her a few days ago but she mentioned nothing of the sort." I bring my thumb up against my lip, pressing it between my lips with disappointment.

"Huh," Jin sounds surprised which contrasts his bland reply. "My mum definitely told me she's coming back later than expected."

I groan in response, "I know." My head drops into my hands as anxious thoughts fill my mind. "How could she not say a single word to me about it?" I throw my hands up aggressively.

I can't believe it, my mum isn't coming home as per schedule but she didn't think to tell me?

"What are you thinking about?" Hoseok takes a seat beside me on the sofa, pressing his forehead against my temple the second he settles down.

"Nothing much." I smile while turning to look at him.

"Are you excited for the graduation festival?" Hoseok strokes my hair lightly, playing with the strands between his fingers.

Oh yeah, I think to myself. 

The only thing good about my university is the fact that they hold the graduations a tad bit different from the rest. While the others host a very traditional and, in my opinion, boring ceremony, our school cooks up a one day festival just to celebrate the graduating students' big day. The play we've been rehearsing tirelessly for is scheduled for premiere on the day of the festival. 

I hum pleasantly because from what I've heard, they always make the festivals a memorable one. I guess that's why the school is usually so stingy. 

"I'm really looking forward to all the food stalls." I lick my lips expectantly. 

Jin eyes brighten at the mention of food, "Food? That's it Ave, we're sweeping out all the stalls together." The older man pinches his nose bridge while displaying a exaggerated expression. "We have to try everything!" 

Hoseok immediately gets defensive, "Hyung! Aveline is going to go around with me!" 

"But food—" 

"No buts!" Hoseok shushes me with his finger and a strict voice. 

"But you'll be busy handling the play anyway, can't I go eat some food with the boys?" I try my best to put on a pitiful expression and sure as eggs is eggs, Hoseok quickly crumbles.

"Okay, but I'll go find you once it's over, deal?"

"Deal!" 

"Should we go find you instead?" Jin suggests. "We can watch the play too. Our Hoseok is the one overlooking it so we definitely have to show some support don't we?" The sneaky smile on Jin's face doesn't look even the slightest bit of genuine. He probably just wants to tease Hoseok after watching the play. However, one thing's for sure, he's proud of his friend.

"Sure, I wouldn't mind the moral support." Hoseok responds with an equally cheeky grin. 

"It's just a pity that your mum won't be able to attend Ave," Jin sighs.

I press my lips together, "There's nothing I can do about, I'll just take a lot of pictures for her to see." 

"I'll take them for you," Hoseok beams. 

"Really? I wanted pictures with you though," I tease the man with a mischievous smile.

Before Hoseok can reply, the front door opens, revealing a middle-aged woman lugging a suitcase behind her. 

"Surprise honey!"

"Mum?"

She walks in confidently, leaving her luggage at one side before strutting over to me. The shock still hasn't worn off when she rushes to give me a big hug.