Becoming A Refugee

Things got pretty confusing after Mako pulled you out of the water. You began drifting in and out of consciousness. Small windows of time seemed to open and close as you dozed off and reawakened. There was a moment when Mako was carefully setting you in a been of some sort, you remember staring up at her before she rushed off and disappeared from view. The next time moment you opened your eyes, you found a cheetah woman dumping towels over your body with a frantic expression on her face as her ears flicked and she worriedly checked behind her. Darkness claimed you once again soon after that. You then wok once more to hear irate voices.

"Search the room!" One of the voices ordered. Several footsteps followed by opening and closing cabinets could be heard. Before long you felt yourself moving, "Hey! Where are you going with that?" The voice demanded.

"Who me?" A feminine voice asked innocently.

"Yes you!"

"I was just taking these used towels to be washed," The voice replied.

"Well in case you haven't noticed, we're in the middle of a search. We'll have to take a look in there, just to be safe."

Whoever was pushing the cart seemed to take offense, "Y-You want to look through women's undergarments!? You dirty dog! I should report you!"

The gruff voice returned, flustered in tone and seemingly uncomfortable, "It's not that at all! I'm just following my orders and being thorough!"

"I cant help but notice that all of the officers present here are men... and they happen to be thoroughly searching through the women's locker room!"

"We've already searched the men's room!" The gruff canine barked.

The argument went back and forth for some time before you lost consciousness yet again.

Eventually, you awoke and found yourself laying on a large bed. A bed far larger than you're own. You initially begin to wonder who the bed belongs to when the events before your blackout came flooding back to your mind in an uncontrollable tidal wave of memory. You bolt upright and roll onto your side. That action alone is enough to send surges of pain exploding all over your body.

Your legs ached from the relentless running and climbing you'd done. Your ribs were sore after the beating you'd taken from the black Labrador. Your head pounded after having been awake for so long and having had water go up your nose after your near drowning experience, and finally; your lungs made every breath painful. Everything you experienced last night demanded that your lungs worked furiously to supply your body with oxygen. And then, they were forced to attempt to process water instead. Thankfully you were saved from a watery grave by Mako.

With your body immobile and your memory back up to speed, you figured you were probably in a bedroom in Mako's home. The ocean blue paint and seashore décor seemed to cement this theory into your mind. But, if you really were in Mako's home, you were left to wonder how she got you here past the police and what was going to happen to you next.

As though some strange force heard your thoughts, Mako came strutting through the door with a bright smile on her face. She didn't even seem to notice you were awake as she begins working around the bedroom straightening things up and leaving toiletries on the dresser. She turns to glance at you and finally notices that your eyes are open and you've been watching her this whole time.

Her eyes seem to light up when she notices this, "You're awake! I'm glad. I was worried that you'd never wake up! I've been up all morning doing chores to keep my mind busy."

"Morning?" You croaked out in a raspy voice. It was then you noticed that none of the lights were actually on in the room. Yet it was still bathed in a warm glow of light. Obviously the sunlight flowing through the blinds and curtains was responsible for this.

"I'm sure you have lots of questions about what happened last night, who I am and where you are," Mako said as she came over to the side of the bed, "But you need to rest for now. I promise, all your questions will be answered... at least to the best of my knowledge that is. And you're safe here, so there's no need to worry about anyone coming after you."

Hearing that seemed to make you subconsciously relax as you began to involuntarily sink back into the bed. Whether you liked it or not, you had to admit that you were comfortable. And you also had to acknowledge that you were absolutely exhausted, and for some reason, the giant shark lady made you feel safe.

"I've got to take care of some things around the house, but I'll be back to check on you," Mako said as she reached down and pulled the covers up so they covered you up to your neck. She then turned to leave, but not before pausing at the door, "Let me know if you need anything, okay?" You silently nodded, prompting her to smile before she walked out of the door.

As you relaxed yourself and stared up at the ceiling, you realized that absolutely everything hurt. If felt like even your bruises had bruises.

There was a soft knock on the bedroom door, the door slowly creaked open to reveal the lion from the gym wearing a pleasant smile on his face. "Good morning!" He greeted you, "If your feeling up to it, myself and a couple of friends would like to talk with you."

You carefully nodded. The lion entered the room with the two female cheetahs from the gym. The lion stood in the corner of the room while the cheetahs sat down. One sat in a desk chair while the other sat at the edge of a recliner. All three felines stared intently at you.

To be continued....