Threats And Schemes

Silvia sat at her desk scribbling her signature across the bottom of a document. As she pushed the document aside she sighed and removed her glasses before setting them aside on the desk. Exasperation was written plainly across her face. Just then there was a knock at her door, "Come in." She instructed.

A ferret woman quietly entered the room, "Miss Deluma?"

"What is it?" The vixen demanded as she crossed her arms sitting straight up in her chair.

"I-I was just wondering if you had finished reviewing and signing that doc-"

"-The document? Yes I'm finished with it," She replied curtly.

"Oh g-good," The ferret replied, "Then I-I'll just take that to-"

"-Just hurry up and do what needs to be done with it," Silvia snapped as she placed her glasses back on her snout as an fierce scowl flashed across her face.

"Y-yes ma'am," The ferret squeaked as she hurried over to her employer's desk before to retrieve the document in question. The frightened secretary quickly snatched the document off of the desk not out of malice, but out of fear of angering her boss any further than she already had. As she reached the large double doors she paused.

This didn't go unnoticed by Silvia, "Is there something else?" She asked as she crossed her arms, impatiently tapping one of her fingers on the upper arm it was clasped around.

"Y-yes.. mister Sanders is here to-,"

"Just send him in," The mayor replied with a dismissive wave of her hand.

"Yes ma'am," The ferret whimpered as she scurried out of the office and closed the doors behind her.

After she was gone Silvia growled, her upper lip arched up midway along her snout exposing her pearly white fangs. Not long after that, the black lab came through the doors,

"Having a bad day?" He asked seeming to be faintly amused.

"Not as bad a day as you'll be having if you don't tell me something that I want to hear." Silvia remarked as she narrowed her gaze. The dog's smugness quickly disappeared, "Now then, how's the search progressing? Anything new?"

"No ma'am, I've tried reaching out to our outside sources as well, but they've yet to respond."

"So lets recap," Silvia said as she rose from her desk and strutted around it, "I give you the time and day that a human will appear. I then give you instructions to capture that human and bring him to me alive. You then proceed to lose that human, before he had any outside help I might add and then decided it would be okay to leave capturing him to the local police." Silvia was now standing beside Sanders while facing the opposite direction, she then began to circle him like a shark circling its prey. "After all of these events, you manage to track him to a neighborhood where someone had been hiding him. I personally took a police escort and went door to door as I searched each and every house, but I turned up nothing."

"I had reason to believe that he was there," Sander's replied.

"On what basis?" Deluma demanded as she continued to circle the smaller anthro.

"I looked into the memberships at the gym," Sanders explained, "And more than half of the members who regularly visit the gym lived in that neighborhood as well as a large portion of the staff."

"Very logical and astute," Silvia conceded as her tails flowed behind her nearly completing the encirclement of her personal agent, "Yet despite your efforts, I'm still short one out of one humans; why?"

Sanders sighed, "I admit, the situation is unfortunate-"

"No," Deluma interjected, "What's unfortunate is what I'm going to do to you, the situation on the other hand; was completely avoidable and isunacceptable."

"Mayor Deluma," Sanders started, "With all due respect, the police are out searching for him. We have agents scouring this and every other nearby city. We'll find him, this is just a minor setback."

Silvia laughed as she came to a stop in front of him, "A minor setback? I applaud you're optimism and professionalism, but this isn't... just a minor setback."

"Everything is going according to plan," Sanders replied, "You-"

"I'm running out of time... mister Sanders," Silvia countered, "You believe that my plan is still on track?"

"I do..."

Silvia nodded as she seemed to be mulling the thoughts over in her mind, "Then let's tally the events, shall we? I have a stockpile of ancient technology that's more advanced than anything we have or have developed to date; left behind from the war that I can't access without a human. A human that went missing after you left his capture to the local police. That in itself would have been fine... If the police would have managed to capture him. On top of that, the board is wanting to see my progress with the initiative. Progress that I haven't made because I don't have the human to unlock and decipher this technology for me. Now, ordinarily I wouldn't be worried about it because I have an agent that specializes in solving these problems. However, for a reason that I can't even begin to fathom," Silvia said as she narrowed her eyes, "It seems that said agent has become inexplicably inept at his job."

Sander growled in annoyance at being belittled and insulted, "With respect, it's widely believed that he received help from your former police captain Luna Barker."

Deluma rolled her eyes, "Don't be stupid. Of course he had her help." She then took a few steps toward Sanders, "But I hired you as my personal agent over her. Therefore, I would expect you to be able to handle her." She moved even closer so that her snout was only a few inches from her own as she glared down at him, "Was I mistaken?"

Sanders looked up at her with a frown, "No."

"Good," Silvia replied as she turned and walked back to her desk. "Fortunately for us both, I can keep the board at bay. But not indefinitely, I need you to do your job and get me that human." The lab nodded before turning to walk out. However, as Silvia took her seat behind her desk, she added a word of caution to her agent, "And mister Sanders?" The lab paused and turned to his employer so that she could address him directly, "I expect results. I really don't care how you get him here as long as he's alive and in one piece. But, if you fail to deliver results this time, I wouldn't want to be you and I wouldn't want to know you... Is that clear?"

"Yes ma'am."