Chapter 100: Escape

Heidi's POV

Shit, I'm in the middle of the fucking woods... I remembered.

I could feel myself starting to panic as I looked around at the trees in all directions...

Come on Heidi, think... I said to myself, before gathering up all of my courage, turning around and sprinting into the house again.

I'd been stuck in this fucking house so long, the last thing I wanted to do was go back inside but I thanked God that I did when I saw a phone hanging from the wall in the kitchen.

I picked it up, dialed 911 and held it to my ear with shaky hands... only to have my breath catch in my throat when I realized there was no dial tone...

"Fuck!" I said out loud, slamming the phone back onto the receiver. Of course the line was fucking disconnected.

Then I saw another saving grace, sitting on the countertop.

A set of keys... car keys.

I grabbed them and then ran outside.... but... but there was no car?

"You're FUCKING KIDDING ME!" I yelled, feeling tears well up in my eyes.

There were no clearings in between the trees, it would've been impossible to drive a car through here... he must've parked it somewhere and then walked the rest of the way. But how the hell was I supposed to know where??

My heart was pounding as I started to feel hopeless, but then I remembered something he'd said to me once...

"I had this house built in the middle of the San Bernardino Forest so we could be all alone."

The San Bernardino Forest... That's east of LA, so I just need to go west and then maybe I'll come across a road or something. I'll bring the keys too, in case I do find the car. I thought, trying to stay as calm as possible, but knowing in the back of my mind I had no clue how deep into the forest I was...

I didn't have any time to feel sorry for myself though, the sun was at the horizon and it'd be getting dark soon. I needed the light so that I'd know which way was west, so I took off running in the direction that the sun was setting, dipping and dodging tree limbs and trying to concentrate on my footing so I wouldn't fall.

After probably five minutes or so of running, I was panting for breath. I was a model, not a fucking athlete... and I think my adrenaline was starting to wear off.

I could feel the wound in my stomach throbbing in pain, I had on a black shirt so I couldn't really tell how bad I was bleeding... but I could feel the warmth against my stomach. I reached my hand down to touch it, wincing when I put pressure over it. My heart sank as I pulled my hand back to see it completely covered in blood.

I have got to get the fuck out of here... I thought, looking up to the sky and realizing that it was all the same dark grey color. The sun had set and I had no way of telling which way was which. And to make things worse, it was gonna be pitch fucking black out here any minute now.

I twisted and turned through the trees, trying my best to stay in a straight line when I felt something hit my nose... and then cheek... and then the top of my head...

"Jesus fucking Christ!!!" I yelled in frustration as it started to rain.

I stopped running. I could feel my lip trembling and I leaned up against a tree in defeat, sitting down and letting my head fall into my hands as I started sobbing.

All this and now I can't even get back? Nobody's gonna find me out here... Can I even make it through the night? I thought, looking down at my soaking wet shirt, unsure how much of it was from the rain and how much of it was blood.