Chapter 52: The Talk

Heidi's POV:

"It's gonna be okay, Heids. We'll get through this together," Heather said as she plopped down another bottle of wine on the coffee table in front of us.

I'd called her crying from the airport and asked if she'd let me stay at her place until I figured out what to do... not only did she let me stay, but she left Tommy in New York and caught a later flight back to LA that day.

I was curled up in a little ball, surrounded by five or six blankets, laying on the couch next to Heather who was in the loveseat, desperately chugging wine. She was tapping her foot and biting her nails in between sips whereas I'd been holding the same untouched glass all night and staring off, silently at the floor. It looked more like Heather was the one who'd just gotten cheated on, but I knew it was just her naturally anxious ways. I knew she was worried since she'd never seen me like this... hell, I'd never seen me like this.

I finally glanced over at Heather after I noticed her check the dainty little Cartier watch that sat on her wrist for the third time. I knew it was only there for looks, so I thought it was kind of odd that she'd be checking it...

"Why don't we watch a movie or something!" She said awkwardly as she saw me staring at her with an eyebrow cocked.

She clicked on the TV which immediately began blaring General Hospital. Of course, she'd have it on the soap opera channel, I thought.

She started flipping through channels one by one in search of something to watch and we both froze as she flipped past MTV and we saw four familiar faces on the screen.

She pointed the remote at the TV frantically trying to change the channel, but I shot my hand up for her to stop.

'Motley Crue cancels New York show after frontman Vince Neil comes down with flu' was the current headline running across the screen as some brunette reporter talked about missing the show.

"Serves him right," I mumbled before putting my hand down so Heather knew she could change the channel.

I thought she'd laugh at my joke, but instead when I looked over at her she had a guilty expression and dropped her eyes to the floor as soon as they met mine.

"...Heather?" I said curiously before I was interrupted by something startling...

A knock at the door.

"...Heather..." I said again, this time more accusingly as my jaw started to clench in anger.

She still couldn't look me in the eyes and said nothing until another knock came from the door.

"Heidi, just talk to him! You need to talk about it, it's not healthy to just bottle it up and push him away!" She said defensively as she cowered in the loveseat.

"Heather! The last thing I want to do right now is-" I started to shout back when a third knock broke our arguing and we stared back at each other in silence.

"I know you don't want to, but you need to," she said quietly before getting up and walking to her room, shutting the door behind her and leaving me alone in the living room to make the decision for myself.

I felt stuck to the couch, like the weight of the world was sitting on top of me and I couldn't move. Another knock jolted me up and before I knew it I was walking towards the door...

It seemed like no matter how many steps I took, I wasn't getting any closer... like there were a million miles in between me and the front door. After what felt like years, I finally reached it and grabbed the knob... but then for some reason I just couldn't seem to open it.