Chapter 51: Flashbacks

Heidi's POV

I heard the taxi door close beside me and felt nothing.

I felt the car start moving forward and still... nothing.

I glanced up into the rear view mirror and saw Vince standing on the sidewalk, in just his boxers, watching the car drive off... and then it hit me.

It was just like you see on TV shows- all of our best memories came flooding back into my head, playing through my mind like a movie reel...

I saw myself grabbing his face and kissing him for the first time on stage at the Whisky.

I saw myself staring down at the bar and remembered exactly how I felt as he slid his hand across my lower back when he introduced himself to me that night.

I saw him stealing the champagne and remembered how thrilled I felt running hand in hand with him to get away from the waiter.

I remembered the way it felt when our eyes met for the first time in the bar after we'd been apart for those two weeks... I could see it perfectly in my head- myself searching the crowd and then finally seeing him.

I saw myself looking up into his eyes as we slow danced in front of the record player when he told me he loved me for the first time. I remembered the feeling of my heart racing and I saw myself put my hand up to his face and say it back.

...That one hurt.

I put my hand to my chest, gripping at my shirt like I'd been shot. I felt a tear roll down my cheek and tried to clear my head, but the movie reel kept playing- this time faster and faster as the memories flashed by in seconds. Some big moments and some that I thought were small, insignificant moments...

Dancing around his kitchen in his Aerosmith shirt and underwear while he stood by the stove, shirtless, making breakfast.

The feeling of his hands tracing up my back.

Him throwing me down onto the bed and me watching excitedly as he unbuttoned a white shirt.

Squeezing him and feeling the cold air hit my cheeks as we zoomed down the freeway that one time he convinced me to ride on his motorcycle.

Waking up in the morning and seeing his arm wrapped around my waist, feeling his body pressed up behind mine and his warm breath hitting my ear.

Him turning to wink at me in the middle of belting out Take Me To the Top at a concert.

Napping in his lap on the couch while he ran his fingers through my hair and softly sang different songs he was trying to memorize.

The feeling of the hot water hitting my back and him kissing my shoulder when we had sex in some hotel shower in Indiana.

Seeing him punch Axl and feeling proud that he'd stood up for me.

The view from the REO Speedwagon concert after he'd lifted me onto his shoulders so I could see.

Seeing him drop an armful of magazines onto the counter after he bought the entire stand when I made the cover.

Seeing rose petals on the floor leading into my bedroom and how hard I'd laughed when I opened the door to find the trial of petals leading to him, naked on my bed.

How it felt when I ran into his arms in the airport and he'd pick me up and spin me around...

I shook my head vigorously and slammed my eyes shut, trying to drown out the memories.

It only made it worse. This time instead of seeing everything play out, I remembered his voice. All the sweet things he'd said and the exact way I felt after hearing each one.

"look fuck I don't know how to do this, but I can't stop thinking about you. The entire past two weeks I've missed you like hell and I don't fucking do things like this, but I'm.... I'm crazy about you."

"Hands off Nikki, she's mine!"

"It's you and me, right? I'm not going anywhere."

""You said this tour was a dream come true, but you're a dream come true."

"God, I love you Heidi..."

Any ounce of composure I had left was gone and I started to break down. I began sobbing in the backseat of the cab, like straight up gasping for breath-shoulders heaving sobbing. As I tried to wipe my face I caught a glimpse of the taxi driver giving me a concerned look through the rear view mirror.

Great. Now not only am I devastated, but I'm mortified too, I thought to myself.

When the taxi driver didn't break his gaze or confused look- I tried my best to quiet my sobbing so that I could tell him I was okay. It wasn't until then that I realized he'd been trying to talk, but was being drowned out by my crying.

"Ma'am.... ma'am?" He asked again, louder the second time. It took me a few moments, but I managed to get my sobs down to a few uneven, jumpy breathes. I guess he took the silence as an acceptable answer and kept talking.

"Where to?" He asked and I froze. Shit, I hadn't really thought this far ahead. All of my stuff is still in Vince's hotel room and there's no way I'm going back in there...

"JFK airport, p-p-please." I managed to squeak out before tears started rolling down my cheeks again.

I'll just have Heather bring my stuff back with her and drop it of at my apart-

Fuck.....

It's Vince's apartment.