Just Peter Parker (Part 4)

Thank God for Natasha Romanoff.

No, she didn't show up to save the day, as Peter kept praying she would. But she had taught Peter several things in the time he was Spider-Man. He may not have super strength anymore, but the lessons he learned can't be taken away with a gene cleanser.

Lesson One: Never go unarmed

Peter hadn't left the lab empty handed. A small scalpel and the gun he'd grabbed in the beginning. At the end of the short hall had been the elevator, and he'd been tempted to take it.

Lesson Two: Never give the enemy a chance to control the situation

If Peter takes the elevator, there's no doubt Osborn would shut it down. Then any hope for saving his friends would be gone. He makes a sharp left, thinking over the map in his mind. What he could remember anyway. The stairs would be harder to access, but it's his only choice.

It's just as he turns to another hallway that he's faced with his first opponent. A tall, burly man with a malicious look in his eyes. The man lumbers toward him, and Peter immediately sees his first mistake. This man has underestimated him. He hasn't even reached for his gun, his arrogance getting the best of him. What now?

Remember, Baby Spider, the bigger they are the harder they fall.

Peter charges toward the man with everything he's got. The guard braces himself, no doubt thinking how easy this is going to be. This scrawny little kid is going to run right into him, and he's going to drag him right back to his cell.

Just before Peter rams into the man, he ducks. Sliding across the floor and right between the man's feet. Peter jumps up and faces his opponent, who still seems to be processing what just happened, because he still hasn't turned around. Speed against strength. Peter jumps, latching his arms around the man's throat. Like an angry bull, the man tries to buck him off. But before he can succeed Peter tightens his grip, cutting off the man's airflow. Slowly but surely the man's movements slow and he stumbles to the ground, taking Peter down with him. A second later, he falls unconscious.

He lets go immediately; after all he didn't want to kill the man. He scrambles to his feet before sprinting further down the hallway. He reaches the stairs, and mutters a small prayer before continuing. Just as he takes the first step, a loud alarm blares throughout the building. The teen covers his ears, realizing his time is now even more limited, and the risk even higher. They know he's escaped.

The next guard he faces- well guards; there's three of them. The staircase gives limited room for movement and none for escape. One guard stands behind him while the other two stand in front. He's surrounded, with three guns aimed directly at him. Peter frantically looks around, before he get's an idea. A stupid one no doubt, but a plan nonetheless.

He climbs the hand rail on the staircase, and before he has time to change his mind, he jumps. He hits the second set of stairs just below them, feet first. And it hurt. There's a likely chance he's broken something, but the adrenaline helps him focus on the task at hand.

The three guards shout after him, and then he's running again. Down the rest of the stairs and closer to his friends. At the bottom of the staircase is another guard, only this one is far less intimidating. He's smaller, but what he lacks in size he makes up for in confidence.

"Put your hands up and cooperate, and you might not get killed." Peter does as he's asked, raising his hands in surrender. The man speaks into what Peter assumes is the coms unit. "I've got the kid."

Peter takes the momentary distraction and grabs the scalpel he'd grabbed from the lab, and hopes his aim wasn't too bad. He throws it, and the blade lodges itself in the man's thigh. He yelps in pain, and Peter pulls out his gun. He pistol whips him, and the man falls unconscious.

That was awesome

He looks down at the guard passed out at his feet, when it hits him. An idea so crazy, so insane, that it just might work.

"Have you found him?" Harry Osborn's calm demeanor is simply a facade, hiding the rage he's feeling in this moment.

"No, sir." The security guard answers, and MJ doesn't bother to hide a smirk. Harley and Ned share an excited look, but say nothing. Peter escaped, and with any luck he'll help them out of this mess. Osborn glares at the head of security, looking at each of the men standing in the room. It's three guys, the head of security and two guards.

"Find him- or it's your funeral." The head of security nods, giving a quiet 'yes sir'. But as he turns to leave, one of the other two guards raises his baton, swinging it hard against the side of the other guard's head. The leader raises his gun at the rogue soldier, but the gun is knocked out of his hands. It skids across the floor, coming to a halt a few feet away.

All it takes is the guard looking away for a moment- and the masked attacker swings. A punch to the stomach and the leader doubles over. The rogue brings his knee up to meet the guy's nose, and MJ physically cringes at the sound. There's no doubt the man's nose is broken, and now he lays on the ground, knocked out. The rogue takes off the mask he'd been wearing, to reveal a proud Peter Parker.

"Hey, guys." He says with a smile.

"Hey, loser." from MJ.

"Hey, dude." from Ned.

"Sup bro." From Harley.

"No! This isn't how it was supposed to go!" Harry lashes out. "You're nothing!! Just... Just..."

"Just Peter Parker?" Peter questions, raising his own weapon. "Well, Peter Parker just made it past all your guards. You've lost, Harry."

Osborn laughs, looking at the gun in Peter's hands: "You won't do it. You're no killer."

"You're right- I'm not." Peter lowers his gun as he frees his friends from the restraints keeping them tied up. "MJ, You wanna do the honors?"

"Oh definitely." Before Harry can think, MJ throws a punch, hitting him right in the nose. He stumbles backward, only to trip over one of the unconscious guards from before. They leave him there, groaning in pain and shouting profanities in their direction.

"So what now?" Harley asks.

"Now? We run." And that's exactly what they did.

They run through the labyrinth of hallways, dodging guards and praying they reach the emergency exit. Peter has used the coms unit to contact the team- all he had to do was change the frequency. Then he was tied in directly with the Avenger's coms. Apparently they thought HYDRA was behind this, and had been searching every HYDRA base from New York to California. The team was on their way, now all they had to do was make it out,

The door was within their sight when the shooting started. It's a miracle that no one had shot at him before now, but then again Osborn hadn't wanted him dead. I guess things changed.

MJ is the first one out, followed by Ned, then Harley. Peter's almost there- when he's hit. He falls forward, the wind knocked from his lungs as he hits the ground. He's outside, his friends a few feet ahead of him. The adrenaline rush has worn off. He's now feeling the full effect of what's been done to him.

His vision is blurred, and he can't focus. He can't breath. All he can focus on is pain. Why does everything hurt so badly? The last thing he hears is someone call his name before everything goes black.