I'm Here For You (Uncle Steve)

(Triple update! Go back to An Unlikely Team)

The third update, as promised. Here ya go...

______________________________

Steve wakes to the sound of his alarm early in the morning. He's the only person in the compound who would willingly be up at 5:00 on a Saturday. 

He gets ready for his morning run and is on his way out when he sees the light from the TV in the common room. Steve knows for sure the TV was turned off the night before, so who else would be awake?

He walks to the common room to find Peter sitting in the floor in front of the television, Play Station controller in hand. On the screen is some warrior fighting a dragon, the game's theme playing quietly.

"Hey Pete. What are you doing up?" Peter jumps in surprise, nearly dropping his controller.

"Oh, I'm training my mind for battle."

"You're playing video games."

"Exactly. Training." Peter never turns to look at him. He simply keeps his eyes focused on the screen.

"Peter, look at me." When Peter makes no attempt to move Steve walks over and turns off the game system, making the screen go blank. Peter sighs and looks up at the soldier.

Steve can see clearly see the exhaustion in his eyes, despite the dim lighting. There's also that unmistakable sadness that's only there on the bad nights. The nights when the memories become to much. The nights when the nightmares make their appearance.

"Man Pete, have you slept at all?"

"A little, but did you have to turn off my game?"

"Yes. Come on, you should join me for my morning run." Peter sighs and stands to go get ready. About ten minutes later, the teen joins him in the common room once again.

"Okay I'm ready. Let's go." Steve nods and they make their way to the elevator. Steve tries to think of something to distract the kid, and decides to talk about whatever game the kid had been playing.

"So what game was that?" he asks Peter.

"Skyrim. It's kinda like an adventure game. It's fun, and it helps me keep my mind off of things."

"Well I'm sorry I just cut it off like that. It looked pretty intense."

"Don't be sorry." The teen replies, shrugging his shoulders."I was being arrested anyways."

"Arrested?! What for?" Steve asks. It may have been just a game, but he still wanted know.

"I killed a chicken. I got three months in prison." Steve just gives the kid a confused look as the elevator comes to a stop.

"That makes no sense. Why would you get arrested for killing a chicken?"

"I don't know. Just how the game works I guess." They exit the compound and step outside into the early morning. They begin their run, Peter easily matching Steve's pace.

"Good job kid. I didn't think you could keep up." Peter gives him a mischievous smile.

"I bet I could go faster." The soldier scoffs at the over confident teen.

"I'd like to see you try." Peter immediately picks up speed, easily beating the super soldier. He vanishes from view and only a few minutes later, he passes the superhero yet again.

"On your left." Peter says as he runs by. Steve just laughs as the teen continues to run past him over and over again, saying 'On your left' each time each time he passes by.

By the time they're finished with the run, Peter's exhausted. When they get back to the compound and into the common room the kid collapses on the couch, immediately falling asleep.

Steve's plan had worked. He told FRIDAY to tell everyone when they woke up to be quiet and let the kid sleep. The hero looks to the sleeping teen, thankful that for once the kid might find some peace.

He would protect this kid in any way he could, no matter what.

********************************

Here ya go. Another one for my amazing arachnids. Two more coming tomorrow,

I larb you all.

Alexis