Just Peter Parker (Part Five - rewritten)

@NeehaShaikh9 I know you didn't like the ending last time, and I apologize. But I think I'm going to stick with it. I've rewritten it to a version I like better, but I don't think I'm going to give Peter his abilities back. The theme of the one-shot was learning that he didn't have to be extrodinary to be important, and I feel like giving him back his abilities may take away from that. At some point I may make a short separate book with this miniseries in which he does become spider-man again. But it won't be in this one-shot book. Sorry.

I hope you all like this, and I hope to have more up soon!! Enjoy.

Harley and Peter both had been taken, and it was driving Tony mad with worry. Since then he’d slept little and had eaten even less. He was exhausted, worried, and angry with everyone. But most of all angry at himself. He’d let this happen. 

Both of his kids just vanished, with no hints as to where they may be. The haunting images of the scene left behind seem to be burned into his memory. 

The car in flames, burning debris scattered across the parking lot. Both Peter’s and Harley’s things were left, singed backpacks and sheets of paper blowing across the parking lot. As frightening as all of that was, it was the blood staining the pavement that made Tony’s heart nearly stop. They’d been taken, maybe even killed. And it was his fault. If he’d left the house ten minutes earlier to pick them up things might have changed. Or if he’d taken a different route to the school. 

That was almost a week ago.

It’s now, a week later, that Tony sits in the conference room surrounded by his team. In the beginning they’d offered reassuring words as they helped search. Telling him it wasn’t his fault, and that he shouldn’t blame himself. But now they were just as distraught as he was, each one thinking of what they could have done. 

“Should we revisit the idea that maybe they’re just in hiding? From whoever is after them?” Bruce suggests hopefully. Tony shakes his head. 

“No. The boys would find a way to contact us if it came to that.” Tony stands from his seat and begins pacing back and forth. “It could be HYDRA. There are bases we may not know about.” 

“I don’t think it’s them. We’ve checked every known HYDRA base, and HYDRA goes after information. Not teenagers.” Natasha answers. 

“What if they know Peter’s Spider-Man?” Clint asks. “Would they have taken him then?” 

“They would’ve taken him because they know he’s connected to us. He and Harley both.” Steve answers. 

“It’s just not their M.O.” Natasha denies again, shaking her head. “Don’t get me wrong I hate them as much as you all do, but HYDRA would’ve already demanded ransom or reprogrammed them and sent them after us. Similar to the Winter Soldier Project.” 

Tony is about to refute her yet again. They’d had this argument several times in the past few days. But they were interrupted by FRIDAY. 

“Sir, it appears someone has gained unauthorized Access to the communications network.” 

“What?” Tony stops, mid pace. “How could someone-”

“Connecting communications unit. Communications unit line one is open.”

“Track the call, FRIDAY.” Tony tells her. At first he doesn’t hear anything but static. But then he hears it.

“-mms check, is anyone there? Can anyone hear me? Dad? It’s Peter.” the voice plays through the speakers. 

It’s his son. His son. 

“Kid!!” Tony all but yells.

“Dad! I think I may be in some trouble.” 

“Yeah no kidding.” Tony answers, his voice cracking. “Where are you?? Are you okay? Where’s Harley?”

“Y-Yeah I’m alright.” Peter answers, hissing in pain. He doesn’t sound alright. “I’m not entirely sure where we are. Harley was taken to a different part of the building. I’m going after him and the others now.”

“I’m tracing the call, we’ll be there soon.” Tony doesn’t get an answer, but then again he doesn’t wait for one. By the time the rest of the team was suited up, Tony was half-way to Oscorp, which was where FRIDAY had traced the call too. 

Don’t worry kids. I’m on my way. 

***

What Tony saw as his kids stumbled out of the emergency exit would forever haunt him. First Harley runs out, and Tony tackles him in a hug. He holds him tight, crying shamelessly as a wave of relief washes over him to have his son in his arms. But it’s short-lived. Because as he looks over Harley’s shoulder, he sees Peter. Unlike Harley, who seemed relatively unharmed, Peter looks badly beaten. He’s thin as a rail, bruised all over, and holding his side as he attempts to run from a person Tony has yet to see. He’s covered in blood, and more seems to be appearing by the second. 

Something must give out, because he collapses just outside of the doorway. 

“PETER!” Tony yells, raising his gauntlet. But it’s too little too late. As a gunman not yet noticed emerges from the shadows of the inside of the building, and aims his gun, and pulls the trigger. 

A second gunshot sounds, from behind him this time, and the gunman falls. Tony doesn’t have to look back to know it was Natasha, as the team had just arrived. Tony leaves Harley and the others with them, stepping out of his suit and rushing to Peter’s side. 

“Kid??” Tony says through tears as he falls to his knees next to the boy. The gunman hadn’t missed, as Peter was bleeding heavily from the bullet wound in his chest. Tony immediately places his hands over the wound, trying to stop the bleeding. It seems futile as more blood just covers his hands. “Kid talk to me. Say something. Say anything.” 

“I told you-” Peter tries before coughing. Blood drips from the corner of his mouth, and his breathing becomes more shallow by the second. “I told you I’d gotten in trouble.” 

The boy’s eyes flutter closed, just as Steve makes it to the father-son duo. He scoops Peter in his arms, rushing him to the jet. Tony sits in shock, still on his knees as he stares at the blood on his hands. 

It’s my fault…. He thinks. I just lost my son and it’s all my fault. 

His mind is cluttered as Natasha pulls him to his feet, basically dragging him to the Jet. He sits in one of the seats, lining the sides of the craft as Harley sits next to him, clinging to his father as if his life depends on it. Ned and MJ stand in a similar fashion as they watch Steve place the boy on a stretcher. Bruce immediately gets to work and the jet takes off, and for the first time in a long time, Tony prays.