41 | The End Of Us

THIRD PERSON

The two souls reread their story in hopes for a better ending. They are both, however, met with disappointment once there are no more pages to turn.

Lorenzo had fallen to his knees, crumbling beneath Catalina's dainty fingertips as he allowed prayers of redemption to spill from the very tongue that had lied to her.

That had hid from her.

Yet she had walked away.

He found himself unable to beg her to stay. To plead for her to listen to him. For her to hear the words "I did not kill your mother."

His father, Rafael Gambino, had managed to escape the chaos that had erupted before Lorenzo was able to put a bullet through the very mouth that had done nothing but torment him.

Lorenzo knew that Catalina was in danger— he knew that if he were to stay with her while his father was still walking on the ground of this earth he would find a way to kill her.

He knew he had to let her go.

He couldn't tell her that he didn't kill her mother, it would be easier if she held that in her heart so that she could move on.

It would be easier if she saw him as a monster.

It was the last thing he wanted but her safety was the most important thing to him. He would ensure that not a hand would touch a hair on her head for the rest of their lives apart.

He swore it.

Catalina had made her way to California, the very place she grew up in. She had hopes of finding Amelie again.

Lorenzo had men follow her out there and to keep watch over her as her days went by. He made sure that they put her safety above their lives. If they had to die to ensure that she was okay, then so be it.

☁️

A child who lost everything sat on doorstep of a house that was no longer there. She was sitting on the warm ground, finding herself looking back at the empty lot with the familiar heaviness aching in her chest.

The ghost soul of the house still lingered in the area, haunting her like her deepest and darkest secrets.

Catalina glanced upwards towards the area that held the small window in the attic, she could see her dainty, bruised hand reaching out to feel the warmth of the air.

She could smell the delicious food that Amélie cooked dancing around her senses, food that she wasn't even allowed to look at.

And of course, she could still hear Finn's yelling echoing on the land of the demolished house.

Even after the way this area agonized her soul, the little girl smiled underneath the stars and moon. She missed the good memories that this place held. Not only that, she also missed the sadness that came along with this place.

What a weird girl she was.

Sadness.

She was ridiculously familiar with that emotion; although, she didn't know it. Catalina was so convinced by her happy persona that she thought the aching in her chest, the constant tears, and her tired soul was just what happiness felt like.

After all, once you tell a lie so much, you begin to believe it.

The one person who helped her heal had managed to break her all over again.

He destroyed her.

The one person she so blindly trusted with her heart was the root of all the years of torment and torture she went through.