9 | Care

"𝙵𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚎𝚎𝚙𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚒𝚛𝚎𝚜 𝚘𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚗 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚕𝚒𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚑𝚊𝚝𝚎."
𝚂𝚘𝚌𝚛𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚜

"𝚂𝚘𝚌𝚛𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚜

C A T A L I N A

My eyes sting at the sight of the card I made for Lorenzo all crumpled up and sitting on the trash can. I noticed how it was gently placed on top of all the garbage, as if I was meant to see it.

So much time was dedicated towards that card.

As gross as it was, I picked the forgotten pieces of paper from the bin and neatly folded them together, putting them in the back pocket of my father jeans.

I bet the little cat drawing I included felt sad. It's Lorenzo's loss. I'll have to treat the card gently since he didn't. Sad face.

Sometimes I like to wonder what my life would be like- what I would be like, if I hadn't grown up in a world that abused me.

Would be as weak as I am right now? As gullible? Shy?

Gosh. Probably not. I bet I would have been such a bad b-word.

As I made my way outside, I took a deep breath, appreciating the scent of nature, and laid on the soft grass in the garden. I took advantage of the comforting silence to daydream about a reality where I was able to live out a different childhood.

My mama and brother would be alive, for one. I would have went to sleepovers and Disney Land and baked treats in the comfort of my own home.

A sigh left my parted lips at the dream that I wished to have lived.

"Catalina," Jasper's voice boomed.

I let out a yelp, not having expected anyone to come out into the garden.

Jasper was one of the men that worked for Lorenzo. He's my friend, I think? It's just that he's a little... scary. Weird, too.

That's so mean. Bad Cat.

"Hi, Jasper," I lightly smiled, making sure to be cautious of his actions.

He held onto my arm and pulled me up off the grass, making me wince with the sheer force he was using.

Ignoring the way my heart was beginning to rapidly thump against my chest, I moved out of his grip. "Yeah, just rip my arm off," I scowled, still trying to calm myself down.

"Watch the attitude." His eyes were dark, but not the kind of dark that Lorenzo's eyes held. Lorenzo's eyes looked like the aftermath of a storm, everything destroyed and ruined; as if he was concealing a tender, kind heart behind them.

Jaspers eyes, however, were a storm. The darkness took over his beady eyes, seeping into his personality.

"Do you need anything?"