Family

Song For The Chapter: My Love -Florence And The Machine

Its down to one hour. One hour of sleep. 

Needless to say, I've had hundreds of nightmares. Nothing new, nothing new...

But it's to the point now where I can't get enough sleep or rest and I'm imagining things daily. Sometimes I'll go do something and just flinch or jump back thinking I saw a monster when there was nothing there.

My head is playing games with me like no other. I'm reaching my limit.

I haven't had another monster attack like the spider. But I somehow don't feel safe. I don't know.  I don't know. Well I know its definitely the lack of sleep that's making me feel like this. 

"Serenity, Sweetie...."

"Yes?" I whispered.

"I think it's better if you go home early today."  Mrs. Crest stopped my hand from wrapping the bouquet.

"No, I'm okay." I don't want to go home.

"Is something wrong? You haven't been yourself since your vacation."

"I think I have insomnia. I can't seem to sleep."

"Have you gone to a doctor?"

"Yeah, they prescribed me medicine. But..." I just wake up from the nightmares. "They don't seem to work."

"I can't let you keep working like this. You need to take a break, some rest." She rubbed my back in a motherly way.

"Its the middle of January. We're about to get super busy for February. We already have wedding requests, valentines bouquets, photoshoot reservations, black history month celebrations..."

"Yes but I think-"

"I'm okay. Working is peaceful and therapeutic for me. I feel safer and more at rest here than at home."

"Really?" She thought for a second. I nodded, slowly tying the bouquet in a large pink satin bow. "If at any point I see you are becoming a hazard to yourself I'm sending you home, understand?"

"Yes, Mrs. Crest." I answered softly.

The car dropped me off at home and I dropped in the couch.

"Hi, guys." I breathed out. Luna and Velvet jumped onto the couch with me, nuzzling in my hand for some pets.

I know they need food. I kept urging myself to get up but I was out before I knew it.

Then I was awake before I knew it.

Heart beating fast in my chest, sweating, adrenaline high, anxiety deep in my stomach.

I gave the cats their food, then paced around, cleaning, and doing important task while waiting for my adrenaline to ease.

My phone started ringing causing me to flinch.

"Lexi?" I answered. "Lexxiii."  I gulped, trying to sound composed.

"Why do you sound out of breath?"

"Huh?"

"Ren, I miss you!" I dropped into a seat, closing my eyes.

"Yes, I... miss you too." Wow, the tears sprung to my eyes so quick I didn't even have time to stop myself. The tears poured out of my eyes. I held the phone away so I could sniff and act okay before she could hear. I put the phone on speaker so I could hear her while I cleaned my face.