Roses

Song For The Chapter: Kara Marni- Love Just Ain't Enough

Mrs. Crest came to get her roses three days ago and she was surprised to see me so animated. I was surprised too. I've been able to sleep back to my three hours again and while I'm still exhausted, compared to the one hour I've been sleeping, this felt significantly better.

She says if I look the same or better next time she comes for the roses, I can come back. I spent the next three days, fixing the mess in my house and getting all my shit together.

The kitties are laying against the corner of the window, peaking out the small opening of the curtain. 

"You guys are so cute!" I cooed, petting them both. They stood up and began to follow me around the house. It wasn't so unusual but the part that confuses me is why both of them were following me, usually only one of them follows me.

"I'm going to get food. I'll be back soon." I rubbed both of them. "I won't take long." I quickly dressed into a red two piece set! I deserve to look cute after feeling so terrible. A pink puffy mini skirt and a pink corset top. I giggled, feeling like myself again.

"I know, I know." I picked both kitties up and held them in my lap. "You're happy I'm back." I kissed both of them on the head.

They still followed me to the door.

"You can't come with me this time. The grocery store doesn't allow cats."  I opened the door. "I'll-"

My breath caught in my throat.

Hundreds of rose petals were riding the wind, filling the air with their scent. Another thousand more covering the entire ground, I couldn't even see the dirt beneath them. Everything was covered in red, the trees, the porch, my sight....

 Everything was covered in red, the trees, the porch, my sight

"Oh, its so...." Pretty!

But why are there so many petals? There usually isn't this many-

Wait.

I stepped out, going down my porch, I looked up at my house.

"No..."

For the first time ever, I could see the roof of my house. My heart dropped, the roses were gone. Entirely gone, empty, the only thing left were the bare, dry, dead vines.

No, No, No, but why?!

I bit my lip, running further down.

I burst into tears.

They're gone!

They're dead!

Before, just last fucking week, roses covered both sides of my driveway. Hundreds of roses, full, in abundance, completely healthy. Now everything is dead! The vines are empty, they're barren, dry, brittle and crumbling apart. All the roses are laying in pieces on the ground.