prologue.

The 57th expedition, the incident at Stohess, the sighting of the beast titan at Wall Rose. A lot had happened in the past couple of months since I joined the 104th Cadet Corps. And it was a miracle we were still alive.

My friends, who I considered family now: Conny, Jean, Sasha, Armin, Historia, Eren, Mikasa... they were all safe, that's all that mattered at this point. The group of us became close friends while training as cadets. I was older by a few years, them still young and only teenagers. Naturally, I developed an almost mother-like instinct: I had to protect and be there for them. No matter what.

The amount of cadets had diminished over the few months. First Marco, then Annie, Ymir, Reiner, and Bertholdt. And the last four, they happened to hold a power just like Eren did. And their motives were enough to split the group in two.

We were all eating supper in the mess hall before an executive officer stopped at the end of our table, "Eren Jaeger, and the rest of you, are the 104th correct?"

We all nodded at his question.

"You're all wanted in Commander Erwin's office immediately."

I think the color drained from our faces as we all exchanged cursory glances each other's way. Why did the commander need to see us? Were we being punished, and for what?

We were ushered out of the mess hall and told to follow the officer throughout the barracks to Erwin's office. Upon entering, we saw the other squad captains in the room. There was Hange Zoe, who radiated a pleasant mood. And there was one other. Levi Ackermann. The captain that Mikasa said beat Eren senseless at his trial. And he went by a more well-established name: Humanity's Strongest soldier.

We all lined up, saluting to the higher-ups before Erwin gestured us to resume casual stance. He picked up a piece of paper on his desk.

"Armin Arlelt, Sasha Braus, Jean Kirschtein, Mikasa Ackermann, Emelie Altmann, Conny Springer, Historia Reiss of the 104th, correct?" The blonde man read, eyes leaving the paper and looking down the line of cadets.

"Yes sir." We answered in unison before he nodded.

"Along with Eren, you all are now assigned to the new Special Operations Squad led by Captain Levi."

We all stood there in shock and as if on cue, a figure emerged from the shadows. There he was, eyes half-lidded and lacking enthusiasm, a blank stare pasted across his face, and arms folded across his chest. Eren was the first to move. He placed a fist over his chest, giving the short statured man a proper salute before we all followed suit.

He came in front of us before he brought his head to the side to gain Erwin's attention, "Is this all of them?"

"All of the cadets from Eren's class." Erwin responded matter of factly.

Levi turned back to all of us, his eyes narrowing down the line, "We'll be safeguarding Eren and Historia from here on out. Training begins tomorrow. That's all, you're dismissed."

I must have looked quite baffled. And it wasn't until Mikasa pulled on my sleeve did I realize we were leaving. We walked back to the military quarters and none of us looked pleased.

"We're the new Levi squad?" Armin breathed out as the rest of us stopped.

They all began to express their worries, and I was surprised to see none were driven to tears.

I put a hand up as everyone glanced to me, "We've followed orders up until now. This is no time to go against them."

I turned my attention to the only one closer to Levi than anyone else in the group, "Eren. You've had him as a captain for a little while now, anything we should know?"

Eren's brow furrowed in thought, "I don't know too much about him. I just hope you all know how to clean."