fifteen.

The squad was still at headquarters in Trost for the small amount of time before the upcoming mission. The Scout Regiment was still preparing the final plan, but the main takeaways were to use Eren's hardening ability to seal Wall Maria and finally retake Shiganshina.

The days spent were rather simple. There was training everyday, and a couple days of the week were dedicated to discussions on strategies, formations, and tactics.

One day, Hange explained her newest technological advancement that would work alongside the ODM gear. She called them Thunder Spears. These spear-like explosive rods were adopted from the Anti-Personnel Control Squad and the secret research done by the Interior Police. This technology was the best chance against the Armored Titan, who we were more than likely to see on our expedition to regain Shiganshina.

Hange let the squad and I handle some of the prototypes, testing out the mechanisms and to make sure they worked properly.

The most important thing to remember was to back away from the impending blast it created in its wake. If we didn't, we'd become part of the explosion. Thankfully no one was hurt, and this allowed Hange to continue on to final production.

Levi remained busy most of the time. Of course, he would carry out training with the squad and attend any mandatory meetings he was asked to be present for. But, I began to notice his absence during supper.

The mess hall was crowded during this time, recruits and soldiers would constantly file in and out of the small building. I remembered seeing him a few times. He would take his place next to the other squad commanders, stomach a few bites and then quickly leave. But, these few times became fewer, and soon turned to none at all.

When I discovered the reason why he was missing meals, it upset me. So, I took it upon myself to bring him his supper after I had finished mine. This was the only intervention that got him to stop working on reports, and to just take a break.

The first time I entered his office, he refused to eat. His eyes only shifted between the tray of food in my hands and then back to me.

I was left with no other resort than to place the plates right on top of his files to get him to eat.

A scowl immediately reached his face, "Tch. You'll get the reports dirty like that."

I stood before his desk, blinking at him unimpressed. "You could either feed yourself or I could—"

"I'm not a fucking baby." he growled, folding his arms across his chest.

"Exactly." I took a seat in the chair before his desk. "Eat."

The first few days of this, he would pick up the utensils under protest and angrily consume his meal as I sat in complete silence. After a few more occurrences, it was almost as if he was waiting for me to deliver his food. He never expressed his gratitude verbally, but I sensed it. He seemed to appreciate it, otherwise he would have just told me to leave.

I had arrived in Levi's office not too long ago with dinner and tea. He had finished it quickly and went back to writing his reports immediately.

He would allow me to stay in his vicinity, never once did he tell me to go. I would usually sit in the chair facing his desk and sip away at a cup of tea or read a book on his couch. On occasion, I would dust around his office. I was surprised he let me, considering how particular he was when it came to cleaning.

Having finished the last of the books sitting on his side table, I kept myself entertained by roaming his office space. I stopped before one of the shelves, eyes scanning down the number of book spines on one of the ledges. On another there were a few metal tins holding different teas. Laying in front of the teas was a white quill with an ink holder displayed to the right.

I turned around to the sound of Levi opening one of his desk drawers. He went to pull out another pen, but that wasn't what caught my eye. Sitting in the back corner of the compartment was a black box. The same one I saw him holding in the stables that night he came back from Reiss' chapel.

"What is that?" I took a step forward, stopping him from closing the drawer midway.

He shifted in his seat to come to face me, following my gaze that was fixed on the box. He took it out before setting the mysterious item on his desk.

"You remember those from the Anti-Control Squad working with the Interior Police?"

I recounted the events from just a few weeks ago. "How could I forget?"

"Their leader, Kenny, I just learned that he was my uncle. He was the one I lived with for a little while in the underground." he went to open the rectangular box, revealing a syringe, needle, and a little vile of purple liquid. "This is spinal fluid of a titan, inject it and you become a Titan."

My brows furrowed, "Like Rod Reiss?"

He hummed, giving me a slight nod.

"And you got this, how?" I asked, still confused on how he obtained such a thing.

"Kenny swiped it from Reiss, and he handed it to me. Now, it's under my watch, and I have to use it when I see fit."

I let out a breath of surprise. "That's a big responsibility."

Levi narrowed his eyes at me. "It was an order."

"I see." I nodded slowly as silence enveloped the room. I cleared my throat to get his attention, "Am I... not supposed to know about this?"

"You're the nosy one who asked about it in the first place." he scoffed with a shake of his head.

I shot the captain a glare, bringing a hand to my hip. "What's to happen now, are the higher-ups going to cut my tongue out?"

Levi's head snapped in my direction, eyes wide from my brazen comment. This sudden look of surprise dissipated in a flash, morphing into his usually impervious self. The frown never left his face, his brows furrowed as they always did.

He gave me a shrug of his shoulders. "Just keep your mouth shut, and that won't happen."