twenty five.

Next day: December 25th

The day went as it had always gone. Simple training, simple tasks, meals. Once dinner was finished, everyone went back to their rooms for the night.

For me, I was stopping by my quarters to pick up Levi's gift.

I unlocked my door quickly, swiftly grabbing the tin of tea on my table before turning back around to head toward his office. When I opened my door I walked straight into someone's frame. I took a step back, my hand still holding the door to find Jean, with Eren, Mikasa, and Armin beside him.

"Off to deliver the gift for the birthday boy?" Jean teased with his smug smile.

I only let out a scoff before shutting the door quietly behind me as the four of them took step back at me coming forward.

Jean's eyes trailed to the tin in my hand. "And what did you get the Captain?"

He reached for the object down by my side as I moved it behind my back. "A tin of tea."

Jean let out a small laugh at my reaction. "Okay... can I see it?"

He reached for it again as I took a step away from him and toward Mikasa. "I don't want you ruining the packaging, horseface."

Eren, Armin, and Mikasa held back their sputters of laughter at my comment.

"Besides, it's not even a present for you. What's your interest in seeing it?" I gave him a shrug of my shoulders, shooting him back a smug smile of my own.

Jean stood in shock at my spit-back, his mouth opening and closing like some fish out of water. "... whatever." he finally managed, folding his arms across his chest in defeat.

I turned to Mikasa, Eren, and Armin, biting the inside of my cheek to steady my growing nerves. "I hope he likes it."

They all nodded, Armin giving me a reassuring pat on my shoulder. "I'm sure he will."

My lip quirked as I revealed the small tin in front of me nestled in my cupped hands. "It's pretty, isn't it?"

They all gave me another nod before Jean squeezed in between Eren and Armin.

"Hey! So they get to see? How is that in any way fair?!" he whined as I went to hide the box behind me again.

Eren gave Jean a slight push away from being so close together. "You heard Emelie, you would taint the tea leaves, horseface."

I watched as Jean's shoulders rose slightly, eyes not even taking a moment to blink as he began to argue with Eren.

"Not right now, you two." Armin said with a roll of his eyes, stepping in between them both.

Mikasa and I watched the three before us, unfazed by the banter that was currently taking place.

Mikasa tapped my shoulder to grab my attention. "Go, I could handle them." her eyes went to the tin and then back at the boys.

She gave me a nudge on the shoulder as I started through the halls to the Captain's.

I stood outside of Levi's office right in front of the door, for I don't know how long. I fiddled with the white bow wrapped around the tin. I checked to make sure there were no dents in the metal. I took a few breaths to slow the pulsing in my ears. I did everything, but knock on the door.

When I raised my hand to knock, a voice called to me on the other side as if already knowing I was there and standing right outside.