twenty two.

I must have fell asleep. I woke up laying on the couch in Levi's quarters, covered in a green scout cloak. I sat up, quick to notice Levi sitting at his usual spot, at his desk.

I rubbed my eyes, getting up and over to him before my eyebrows drew together. He wasn't working on any reports. He was just sitting there in his chair, arms folded across his chest with his chin slightly lowered. I took cautious steps toward him as I crouched beside the arm of his chair, noticing the slow rise and fall of his chest. Slowly, I brought a hand up to meet the hair falling over his eyes, sweeping it to the side carefully. As I thought, I found his eyes closed and his brows relaxed.

He was really sleeping.

My hand remained there, holding the strands of his hair that covered his eyes. A smile made its way to my lips at the sight. Of course, I was happy to see him sleeping, he needed it.

His eyebrow suddenly twitched, making me freeze in my spot. Two groggy eyes opened tiredly, they slowly shifted focus to my hand before his face. I prepared for his usual defensive nature and waited for him to suddenly slap my hand away, but this didn't come.

He brought a hand up before gently moving mine away. His eyes were laced with a quizzical look, "What are you doing?"

I blinked, "I was just checking if you were sleeping."

He tilted his head away from me before lowering my hand, "And now, I'm awake."

He stood to his feet as I followed suit. He paced around the corner of his desk, stopping to check the clock on the edge of the table.

"It's 8am. Go and get yourself cleaned up and head to the mess hall."

I went back to my quarters and took a quick shower before dressing into a clean set of clothes and uniform. I entered the mess hall only twenty minutes later to find Levi already there and some of the squad seated at the usual table. I made my way over before sitting beside Jean.

"Hey, Emelie made it." Conny nodded, giving me a warm smile.

"Overslept?" Jean asked over to me.

I shrugged, "Something like that."

I took a ration of biscuits at the center of the table, opening the package before noticing the empty seats at the table. "Have you two seen Sasha yet?"

Conny shook his head, "Not yet, we were going to go check up on how she is feeling after this."

"And Armin? Where is he?"

"He's visiting Eren and Mikasa." Jean mumbled through a mouth full of food.

I placed my ration back in its wrapper before standing up. "I'm going to see them." I got up from the table, ignoring the Conny and Jean telling me to just stay and eat my breakfast. I made my way across the hall, stopping at the table where Levi was seated, sipping away at his cup of tea. I placed my hands on the table, the slight rattling of the porcelain cup enough to grab his attention.

"Where are they?" I asked as he looked at me, knowing exactly who I was talking about.

He closed his eyes before getting up from his seat to walk toward the exit of the mess hall. He stopped when he heard no footsteps behind him. "Are you coming or not?"

I followed Levi out and across to the other side of the barracks. He brought me through headquarters, stopping in front of a door which led to a set of long stairs leading down to the stockades.

"They're downstairs, in the last two cells."

I nodded to him before I went down the flight of steps. I was met with a length of stone wall, a few mounted torches being the only light for the hallway. My echoing steps signaled my arrival.

The blonde facing the cells perked up to look over in my direction, "Emelie!"

I heard rustling within the cells, Mikasa and Eren coming forward to the rails of the cells to greet me.

I gave them each a smile, but it was quick to fade, replaced with a shake of my head. "They're treating you like animals."

"It's not that bad. We aren't chained down." Eren admitted with a shrug.

"Have they given you meals yet? You both must be hungry." I took the ration out from my pocket. "Here, I swiped this from the mess hall just before."

I handed them each a piece, Mikasa refusing to take it at first. "It's yours. I'm not taking—"

"You need it." I pressed as she let out a sigh, seeing I was in no mood to argue.

She brought her hand between the rails reaching for the biscuit from the wrapper. "Thank you."

I smiled before asking all of them, "Did they say how long you two will be here for?"

"Ten days I think." Armin responded before I went back over to their cells.

"I'll visit everyday. And if there's anything you need just let me know, alright?"

Mikasa blinked at me, "That's insubordination, Emelie." she half joked.

"I'm helping my friends, there's a big difference." I gave her and Eren a small smile before bidding them a goodbye for the day.

Armin stayed behind with the other two. I climbed back up the stone steps to go and open the door from the stockades. I had to hold back a squint when I was met with a bright beam of sunlight. As soon as my eyes had adjusted I took a few steps forward to head back to the rest of the squad.

An irritated voice sounded from behind, making me stop in my tracks.

"Took you long enough down there... what did you do? Get lost?"

I took a glance over my shoulder to see Levi, back against the wall with his arms folded across his chest.

"You didn't have to wait for me, you know." I held back my chuckle at his usual demeanor before shooting him a quirk of my brow. "I know my way around headquarters just fine."

I watched as his eyes went wide at my boldness. And for a moment, he stayed still and looked almost... dumbfounded. He ripped his gaze away from mine in an instant before tilting his face to the side. The crease between his brows deepened, the corner of his mouth twitching slightly at my brazenness.

He pushed himself off the wall to pass me. "Tch. Start walking... my tea is probably cold by now."

A few days later, Historia had arrived in Trost and Premier Zachary released Eren and Mikasa earlier then expected in order to hold a meeting to discuss what was found in the basement back in Shiganshina.

The three books found in the basement detailed the life of Eren's father, Grisha Jaeger. The findings were astonishing. Almost unbelievable.

There was something outside of the walls. Not only that... but life.

Civilization.

Queen Historia came to the consensus to share this news rather than keeping it hidden. Thus, it was decided to publicize this information for all of Paradis.