eighteen.

a/n:

song: Dandelions by Ruth B.

~

I went to the mess hall first thing in the morning, instead of hiding away from my friends, staying tucked in my room, and missing mealtime. I displayed myself as I usually did. Pleasant, happy, and normal. Even though, I was far from it. But, the last thing I wanted was for the squad to suspect something was wrong.

In the afternoon, the squad and I went out for physical training like always. Levi wasn't out on the fields today. This brought more relief than I had imagined, and it allowed my anxieties to settle.

The group broke into pairs to warm up before the real hand-to-hand started. Thankfully, I was placed with Sasha for practice. If I was with Mikasa, she would have noticed something was wrong.

The matches for the day were decided. Mikasa against Sasha. Armin and Conny. Eren versus Jean. And me against whoever wanted to fight again.

The group was huddled around the two girls who had just finished. Mikasa went to crouch down in order to help Sasha to her feet.

"So, who is going against Emelie?" Armin asked.

I looked around the circle and was met with everyone shaking their head. Then, I heard Jean stifle a snort.

"I think it's time for our rematch, don't you think?" he stepped forward, standing tall as he folded his arms across his chest.

I watched as a sneer made its way to his lips.

That. Stupid. Sneer.

I let out a sigh before readying myself into position, "Alright."

A look of shock flooded his face at the lack of my usual spit-back. His confusion was still apparent, but he continued on anyway.

"You know the rules. First to the ground loses." he shook out his shoulders to focus.

I dipped my chin as we faced each other, hands balled into fists.

Jean came forward first, throwing a punch with his right hand as I clumsily moved away with a stumble over my feet. I felt the swing of a kick meet the side of my ribcage as I let myself fall onto the ground.

I brought an arm up to cover my escaping cough. I examined my sleeve to see it clean. Good. At least I wasn't bleeding. The cloud of dust had subsided as a pair of boots came closer. I glanced up to see Jean looking down at me. He wasn't radiating the arrogance he should have been after winning a match. If anything, he looked concerned.

He offered a hand out to help me back up to stand. "Hey, are you okay? You weren't fighting back."

It surprised me to hear worry in his voice.

"Y—Yeah. Just... tired is all." I nodded, brushing the dust off of my uniform.

Jean brows furrowed at my answer, he opened his mouth to say something back.

Conny cleared his throat, signaling Jean to stop. "I think that's enough for today then. We should be starting with the stables anyway."

Jean let out a sound of frustration, but let it go and nodded to Conny. Along with the group, I began heading toward the stables. Mikasa stepped in front of me to stop me from going any further. I tried weaving past, but she managed to block every step I took going forward. It got to the point where her hands met my shoulders, to hold me back and finally keep me in my place.

Mikasa looked me dead in the eye. "If you are tired, you should be resting. I can handle your stable for today."

She left me standing there as they all continued to the other side of headquarters.