twelve.

Levi was tasked for the day, ordered to check out the damaged area from the most recent mission. He took a few other scouts with him before heading off to investigate what was left of Reiss' land and to find any survivors.

If there even were any.

This left the whole squad a free day at headquarters. The day was relaxed, but more or less the same. We did a little physical training before going to the mess hall for lunch and in the afternoon, we all went back to our rooms.

My eyes remained open as I laid on my bed to try and get some rest. The thought of a possible nightmare whirled through my head, preventing me from getting even a minute of sleep. I gave myself a few more chances but decided to go visit Hange when my eyes still refused to close. 

She wasn't in her office. So, there was only one other place she might be in.

I was met with silence when I knocked on the door to the lab. She had to be in there, the light streaming through the bottom of the door proved she was. I waited a moment before opening the door.

My eye twitched at the sight. It was messy, to say the least. Within the large room, everything appeared unorderly and disorganized. Rods of metal were sprawled amongst the many tables, splinters of wood littered the floor, and the papers... so many plans, blueprints, reports. Some were folded, fallen on the floor, crumpled or even torn in half.

I continued down the steps opening to the rest of the room, squinting to find Hange within this muddled hodgepodge.

I heard something move to my right. My eyes darted to the side onto a moving lump beneath a scout cloak before Hange sprang up from her seat.

I took a step back in surprise as she belted over in laughter. "Oh Emelie, it's only you. I thought it was shorty coming to bark at me to clean."

I held back a chuckle at her nickname for Levi. It was a wonder how she managed to call him such things without him threatening to slice her legs off.

"I'm not the captain, but I would still advise you to clean up... just a little bit." I pursed my lips together, giving her a slight shrug of my shoulders. 

She immediately shook her head. "My work space, my way. The clutter helps with my thought process actually."

"Messy person, messy mind." I teased, quirking an eyebrow her way.

Hange only snorted at my snarky comment. "What brings you here? Did you finish training early?"

"Captain Levi is out for the day. He gave the squad some time off."

Her eyes widened in excitement, "So you've come to check out what I've been working on! Here, look at this!" she scrambled around the table before picking up a glistening object. "This was what the chapel on Reiss' land was made of..." she held the stone between her pointer finger and thumb, showcasing the material to me but only for my eyes to see.

My head tilted to the side, "Is it like Titan hardening?"

"Not quite. It's some type of glowing ore. Look..." she grabbed my arm, pulling me next to her before covering our heads with her cloak. "It gives off light. And from our records, it's safe. The Reiss' were surrounded by it in that underground mineral deposit and nothing harmful seemed to occur."

I couldn't do anything but stare in awe, Hange snapping in front of my nose to regain my attention.

"I've been watching this piece for the whole day, and it hasn't died out yet. If this constantly glows, imagine the work that we could complete in the dark now..." she uncovered our heads, her eyes remaining fixed on the ore.