nineteen.

From atop the wall, I watched the wooden device make contact with the Titan below. The log was lifted, and a line of steam left the newly made hole in the nape.

We all gasped in astonishment, but Hange's screech overpowered all of us.

Hange was bouncing around in excitement, sputtering and yelling about this new invention she called the 'Executioner from Hell'.

Most of us stayed silent, simply in awe from what we had just witnessed. Eren fell to his knees, not even believing what had just happened either.

It was amazing. We could now defeat 12 meter Titans without involvement of people or even the lifting of a blade. There was less of a chance of losing any soldiers.

Another of Hange's screams brought me out of my shock. She called to Eren, and she suddenly went silent. All of our attention went to the Titan Shifter.

Eren was crouched down, hands cupped near his mouth. A constant streak of blood left his nose, leaving a puddle of red overflowing in his hands, dripping onto the wall we were on.

My eyes immediately widened in worry. Mikasa wasn't here. And if it wasn't her checking in on Eren. It was me. I ran over quickly before stopping over by his side. Levi had already handed him a handkerchief to wipe the stream coming from his nose.

"Eren?" I heard Hange state in sudden concern.

"He probably overused his Titan powers. All he's done is hardening experiments lately." Levi's eyes never once left the boy in front of him.

Hange's eyes softened, eventually filling with guilt. "Sorry, Eren..."

Eren shook his head. "There's nothing to apologize for, Hange. Who gives a damn if I'm tired?" he brought the cloth to his nose again with a sniff. "Let's hurry... make weapons, and get going... to Shiganshina."

Hange, Levi, and I watched over Eren until his nose had stopped bleeding. When we made sure he was alright, the two Squad Leaders brought their attention back to the other soldiers preparing the Titan death trap for another run. Eren finally made his way to his feet before rounding to me.

"Have some water. You worked hard today." I handed a tired Eren my water container as he accepted with a nod.

"Thank you." he went ahead and took a few sips before giving it back to me, "Here, you have to have some too."

I smiled at his concern. No matter how tired he was from his transformations, hardening, or other Titan responsibilities, he would always have the energy to worry.

I shook my head at him, "Mikasa wouldn't have been happy to see that they worked you so hard."

Eren let out a scoff, which was soon replaced by a grin. "Then, let's just be thankful she wasn't here."

Levi was watching the trunk fall on the back of a Titan's nape for yet another time. At this point, he had begun to ignore Hange's high pitched squeals at how successful this new machine was.

Drowning out Hange's earsplitting hurrahs, he found himself focusing over to where Emelie was. She was only a few steps away from the rest of the group, talking to Eren. Levi saw that Emelie looked a bit uneasy and had her brows furrowed slightly, showing to be just as concerned for Eren's wellbeing as Levi himself was.

Then he saw her mouth quirk upward before he heard her release a small laugh. He was happy to see her chuckle. Or at least smile.

She wasn't like she was yesterday. She was acting like any other soldier, which to some, was not necessarily a bad thing.

Truthfully, he didn't like it.

She blended in with all the other soldiers on his team, on Hange's team, or any other scout. The Emelie he knew? He admired how she would stand out among the many green cloaks. Now, it just seemed like she was doing her job, and following orders.

At first, he thought of it as childish. That Emelie's attitude and change in demeanor was all because of that night when she expressed how she felt toward him.

And of all people. Him.

But, seeing how she was acting these past few days and even now, he figured this was affecting her more than he had imagined.