twenty three.

Not too long after the meeting about the basement, we were informed about an upcoming military ceremony held by Queen Historia, honoring the survivors from the Battle for Shiganshina and the ones who had fallen.

Upon entering the marble white hall, we were enveloped in solemnity along with the low murmurs of conversation. Every soldier was dressed the same in olive green formal jackets. The only thing that differed were the emblems on our backs. There were plenty of soldiers from the other divisions compared to the small handful of ten scouts.

To my knowledge, Hange and Levi were making their rounds with the other regiment officials. This left me with the rest of the squad and Floch.

We were waiting on the side for the ceremony to begin. Sasha was seated, still recovering from her injuries with Conny beside her. Jean was with Floch. Then there was Armin, Eren, Mikasa, and I.

An MP came over to greet us. I recognized her right away. Hitch Dreyse. She was one of the MP's we found in the forest when the squad was being hunted by the government. Unlike most, Hitch and the other one who was with her helped us with getting info from the Interior Police.

And that was the first thing that was brought up when she approached us. That other person who was with her back then, that was Marlo. He had transferred from the Military Police to the Scout Regiment not too long after meeting us in the forest. And after Shiganshina, he sadly didn't make it.

The only one who saw his last moments was the only one not part of Levi Squad, Floch.

He said some insensitive things to Hitch regarding her friend, Marlo. And when she left, Jean confronted him.

Jean turned to Floch, "Hey! Why did you do that?"

"Because... someone has to tell the truth." Floch shifted his focus onto Armin.

They held stares. I only watched as the tension built between the group of us. I knew exactly what this was about. But, this was no place to bring it up.

Armin's eyes softened, "I know how desperate you were to revive Commander Erwin."

Floch lifted his head in defense before coming to face the blonde, "That's right. It should have been the commander, not you. I'm not the only one who thinks that. We all do. Everyone who read the report thinks the same thing: Why wasn't Erwin the one picked?"

I gritted my teeth to hold my growing anger. How dare he say such things to Armin.

Eren beside me looked just as upset.

"What the hell do you know about Armin?" Eren said defensively. "Tell me!"

Floch let out a scoff, "Nothing at all. I'm not his childhood friend, and we're not chums, either." he took a step closer. "But I can still tell you why Armin was chosen. It's because you, Mikasa, and Captain Levi brought your emotions into it. You thought the injection was all yours and made a totally irrational decision! Basically, it was too hard for you to let go of someone important."

Eren closed the space between him and Floch, hands now balled into fists. "Hey, you should shut your mouth."

Floch only narrowed his eyes at him, "Eren. Deep down inside, I bet you think you're always in the right. That's why you never gave up in the end. Just like a brat that won't listen."

Mikasa placed a hand on Eren's shoulder to hold him back. "Eren, just leave him alone."

Floch lowered his chin to us. "Mikasa's the one that behaved like an adult. At least she gave up in the end."

Mikasa's eyes widened at the harsh words thrown her way as she dropped her hand from Eren.

My anger flared. This was enough.