five.

Eight days before.

I was awoken by something being swatted along the side of my head. My eyes cracked open to see Sasha with my cloak in her hands, Historia beside her, and Mikasa packing up her things.

"Rise and shine sleeping beauty." Sasha let out a snicker before throwing my cloak over my head.

I let out a groan as I sat up, rubbing my eyes tiredly before I fixed the uniform I had on. "Ugh. I find it disgusting I had to sleep in this thing." I admitted with a frown.

The girls around me let out a chuckle before we got ready to ride over to the giant forest for another day of Eren's experiments and a little training with the ODM gear.

After putting our horses by the entrance of the trees, the squads made their way up within the branches to seek out a spot for Hange to begin... 'working'.

I had to admit, we were pretty deep into the forest. So far in that we couldn't see the entrance from which we came any direction we looked.

Hange began experimenting with Eren as soon as we stationed. There was her squad on the lower floor, and Levi's squad on the branches looking from above. Eren went through about two transformations before we took a break. Both squads were on the grass before we heard it, a low rumbling coming from the right.

I tapped Conny on the shoulder, "Do you hear that?"

The ground began to shake as the sound came closer, the leaves on the trees now rustling. I looked over at Levi who was squinting in the direction of the sound.

The things producing the noise finally came into view. Five Titans. All taller than the ones we've been exposed to in the past and all were running in rather strange ways.

"Abnormals! Up in the trees now!" Levi ordered to everyone as we immediately obeyed.

Grapples split into tree bark as the gears by our sides began whirring to pull us to the higher branches. They approached fast. Hange's squad focused on the two to the left taking Conny and Armin with them for backup, while Levi ordered us to take down the three on the right. Levi went for one as Historia and Sasha followed him, Eren and Mikasa went on to another. Leaving me and Jean for the last one.

Jean dipped down and went all the way back up onto the branches. I almost screamed in frustration.

What the fuck was he doing? Was he making me kill this thing on my own?!

I took a quick scan among the trees and couldn't find him anywhere.

Whatever. I needed to focus. I needed to take down this Titan.

As I lined around the monstrous being, I dropped down by its feet, slicing the heels as it fell to its knees. I rebounded off a nearby tree trunk before landing on the top of the head. My face contorted in disgust at the sight. I hopped up to gain some momentum, readying my blades and bringing them across the exposed nape.

I landed a few feet in front of the fallen body as I took a glance around to see four more fallen Titans on the grass. The steam subsided as the two squads regrouped.

I made my way over to the others as a throbbing pain ran through my side. I clutched it carefully, almost forgetting my bruises from the events of yesterday. Another step forward and I fell to the ground, my breathing light as to not incite anymore pain.

"Emelie? You alright?" Jean asked next to me, helping me to my feet.

My eyes slanted to him as I ripped away from his hold. "Where the hell were you?" I growled lowly, clenching my teeth together in effort to stay calm.