six.

I was bed ridden for about five days. Excused from chores and activities, with only one assignment: to regain my strength.

I finally had enough to stand and I felt utterly disgusting. I decided to wash up first, to rid of the filth collecting over the past few days. Undoing my harnesses and ridding of my soiled clothes, I was surprised I could take in a full rib cage of air when I inhaled. I took a quick glance in the mirror and saw the bruise on my chin had blended back into normal, the cut on my cheek was now a small line, and the soreness in my side nearly nonexistent. I showered quickly, dressing in full uniform before heading out of my quarters.

Interestingly enough, the whole cabin was quiet. I went to Mikasa's room first, only to find a neatly made room and no one inside. In fact, none of the squad was here, their rooms empty. I went outside to see their horses missing. The only horses in the stables being mine and Levi's.

I headed to the captain's quarters, stopping in front of the wooden door as I took in a breath. I knocked lightly as a response came back immediately.

"Name and business."

"Emelie Altmann, sir."

"Come in."

I opened his door to find him seated at his desk.

He didn't even look up from the report he was working on, "I should have known it was you. I didn't think the rest would be back just yet."

"Where are they?" I asked.

"Hange asked for their accompaniment on an experiment. They'll be back by sundown."

My eyebrows furrowed, "And you didn't go?"

He looked over to me and gestured to the files on his desk.

I stood still, fiddling with the cuffs of my jacket before he closed his the report he was working on, "What is it you needed."

"I wanted to go to Trost... buy a few things for supper."

His eyebrow quirked, "You're making supper tonight?"

"I haven't been doing my chores this whole week. The least I could do is make a dinner for the squad."

His eyes narrowed at me, "Do you have any idea the squad's situation at the moment?"

I understood what he was saying. I knew how cautious the squad had to be in guarding both Eren and Historia. But it was his tone that bothered me. Its sound... it was almost patronizing. I grit my teeth in effort to brush it off, knowing it was nothing more than Levi's usual prickly nature.

"I'll keep my hood on the whole time, people won't even notice me..." I countered, trying to persuade the captain.

He pondered for a minute before giving me a slight nod of his head. What he did next surprised me. He pushed the file toward the center of the desk and stood to his feet. I watched as he wrapped his dark gray cloak around his shoulders before he met my confused stare.

I put my hands up in front of me, gesturing for him to sit back down. "I could go myself. A trip to the market will be fast—"

His brows furrowed, an irritated look made its way to his face, "Tch. I'm sure as hell not letting you go alone."

My lip twitched, but it wasn't because of the sharpness of his tone this time. Did he think that I couldn't handle myself out there alone? But, I knew better than to speak back. I turned to exit, ignoring the flustered feeling growing in my chest.

We arrived at Trost, dismounting our horses and leashing them near the walls entrance. We tried walking through town discreetly, but our hoods did little in keeping us concealed from the locals. As we passed the townsfolk, I immediately felt their stares burning through our cover. But, I wasn't the source of all this attention. Their eyes recognized the short statured man next to me. Humanity's Strongest soldier never went unnoticed on the streets. As we continued throughout the city, we were met with whispers or polite nods in respect.