fourteen.

Levi was looking out the window, only half of his attention on Hange's babbling on some new innovation in the making.

His eyes widened when a sudden weight met his shoulder. He turned his attention to his right to find Emelie nuzzled against him, fast asleep.

At first, he didn't even move. Relaxing his shoulders, he tried his best to keep still, being careful not to stir her awake.

And then, shamelessly, he just stared at her.

His eyes fell upon the few locks of hair cradling her face which brushed across her cheek. He noticed there was less of a discoloration, the noble's red marking was beginning to fade away.

Even so, his indignation prevailed.

It still bothered him how that man treated Emelie. Levi knew he didn't even deserve the nobility title he was given, let alone the title of a 'man'.

He happened to be zoning out on some conversation Erwin had initiated with some rich asses to get whatever donations he could for the Scout Regiment. His eyes found Emelie across the ballroom, going over to get a cup of tea and take some time for herself, away from the exhausting occasion. He saw the noble approach her, but gave it some time before going to intervene, settling to first watch from afar. He narrowed his eyes upon seeing how uncomfortable Emelie looked. He saw his closeness to her body, the kiss on her hand, his hold on her wrist... and then the slap across her cheek.

He was the one to move first. He kept his focus on the scene he just witnessed, immediately streamlining to the other side of the ballroom and toward that fucking noble. He didn't even stop when Erwin called out to him... he didn't even hear him.

He was brought out of his daze when Hange let out a sudden gasp.

"Is shorty here a softie?" her eyes went between Levi and Emelie, a devilish smirk spread across her lips. She held her pointer finger out, drawing a circle around Emelie's sleeping figure. "Or is this only because it's Emelie?"

Levi stayed still, eyes burning holes through Hange who didn't care the slightest.

She let out a delighted scoff, "This is too good... hey you know, I've told her you aren't as rigid as you display yourself as." she kicked the captain's foot lightly as Levi sat there, silent.

Erwin cleared his throat, urging Hange to stop her teasing. Hange simply brushed it off with a wave of her hand.

Hange's eyebrows raised, "Is she even breathing? She's sleeping like a sack of bricks."

Hange came closer to her sleeping figure, hand only inches away from tickling her nose. A hand caught her wrist before the the woman in glasses met a pair of piercing gray eyes.

"You don't want to wake her, do you?" Levi whispered under his breath.

Hange blinked at his sudden change in aura as he narrowed his eyes even further, "Then shut it before I make you."

He released his hold, throwing her hand to the side as she sat back in her seat. The smirk never left her face, even as Erwin tried relentlessly to stop her because Levi looked beyond annoyed.

But, Levi knew how to ignore things at the best of times. He was an expert at tunneling his focus on one thing, something that he showed numerous amount of times on expeditions outside the walls. He did this now, as he brought full attention upon the sleeping figure rested lightly against his shoulder. He felt each of her exhales ripple against the arm of his sleeve, that showed she was in fact, still breathing.

The rest of the ride was quiet. Hange and Erwin continued small talk here and there, Hange quietly discussing even more of her experiment plans to the Commander. Levi peered back out the window, every so often looking over his other shoulder to check on Emelie. Every time he would still see her there, resting against his arm.