seven.

Three days before.

Mikasa, Historia and I made our way back into the cabin, Mikasa held the axe over her shoulder, Historia and I holding logs of wood. Right as we entered, we were met with the usual. Eren and Jean were arguing about something. Sasha, Armin and Conny were putting away the food rations of bread and potatoes.

Sasha stuffed a piece of bread in her satchel, Armin suddenly scolding her to put it back. As soon as that quieted down the seven of us went silent. I went to lay the wood down near the fireplace and to pick up an extra cloth to begin dusting. The table was not clean enough for Levi's standards, for sure.

Were Eren and Jean even doing their job?

I found it odd that no one was talking. But, I stood corrected as soon as Eren cleared his throat rather violently.

"Okay none of you guys have the balls to say it, so I will." Eren suddenly voiced. "Emelie, what's going on with you and the captain..."

I froze as I felt all the eyes on me, "Wha— What?" for this once, I cursed the stutter that had left me.

"Oh don't play dumb, we all see there's something going on." Eren interrupted as Jean rested an arm upon my head.

"You've earned plenty of attention from the captain, isn't that interesting..." he teased, his laugh coming to a halt when Mikasa hit him with the broom.

"I thought we all saw this coming." Sasha shrugged as she brought the bread up to her mouth.

"As if him bringing her back here from the forest himself wasn't obvious enough." Jean stated matter of factly.

"Pfft, I saw it when we were training in the forest a few weeks back, when he kicked the gas canister over to me." Conny admitted, swiping away the bread from Sasha's hand.

Historia glared at the shorter of the two, "That was just a lesson. He nearly killed her when he fought her that day that's not—"

Armin brought a hand up to stop everyone, "Quiet. You're not even letting her speak."

They all went silent, eyes still focused on me. "What's going on between you two." the blonde boy continued.

"I don't know."

"Bullshit Emelie!" Eren yelled as I brought my hands up in mock defense.

"I'm serious, I don't know! Do you think this is something I regularly discuss with him?!" my voice raised slightly as I watched my friends cower at my sudden defensiveness.

"Yes. I care about him. Whether he voices that or not, does not change what I feel..." I let out a long sigh as the rest of the squad looked at me in utter confusion.

Jean shook his head in disbelief, "What do you even see in him?"

"He's hurt you." Conny added as my head snapped in his direction.

"He patched me up after what he did." I blurted out, leaving them all surprised, all except for Mikasa who had already knew this. "He saved my life the other day, you were all there, you saw."

"You're still giving him too much credit. You can handle yourself Emelie." Mikasa stated, just like up in the trees a few days ago.

I left some parts unsaid, the stars, the underground, the feeling I felt when he saved me that day, when we were cooking, how comfortable I was around him. All of a sudden, it felt like everything came crashing down on me. I felt overwhelmed trying to understand my current feelings.

I felt my heart drop at the thought of this being unrequited. There was a very high chance.

I didn't have time for this, I had my job on his squad. And he for sure did not have time for this. He was Squad Captain of the Special Operations Squad, he was busy enough. He made this look easy for him, remaining focused on one task and having no visible intention of relationships in a time like this. Or ever.