twenty one.

a/n:

I decided not to write the Battle of Shiganshina. While I was writing, I realized that most of it was the dialogue from the anime. So, putting it here would be repetitive and not entirely my own writing.

BUT, here are the important events that have happened during the Battle of Shiganshina: the Beast Titan escapes with Reiner, Levi chooses to use the spinal fluid on Armin who eats Bertholdt and lets Erwin rest.

In terms of the itty-bitty details, I suggest watching the Battle of Shiganshina episodes in season three to recap.

This chapter starts with Emelie on Wall Maria with Conny, Armin, Sasha, Jean, and Floch. They are all waiting for Levi, Hange, Eren, and Mikasa to return from the basement.

~

The remaining survivors were atop Wall Maria, waiting for Levi, Hange, Eren, and Mikasa to return from the basement.

I looked over the wall at the disastrous view; boulders were mashed into the ground, homes were demolished, sliced Titans were steaming away in the distance. I could never unsee the number of fallen scouts and horses that were littered across the now red stained grass.

It was slaughter. We had lost Commander Erwin and the entirety of the Scout Regiment, all in one expedition. The only scouts that remained, were the ones on the wall beside me, along with the four searching the remains of Shiganshina.

Hange, Conny, Jean, Sasha, Eren, Mikasa, Floch, Armin, me. And Levi. 

Ten.

I stood near the two who were resting. Sasha was lying down, head wrapped with the little bandage we had managed to find. And the other, was wide awake, eyes still in shock from the information he had received from Eren just a little while ago.

I crouched down to his level, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Armin, how are you feeling?"

His blue eyes slowly trailed over to meet my gaze, "Why... why did the captain pick me? It should have been Erwin... not me."

I let out a breath, "Yes. Captain Levi chose you."

I couldn't think of anything better to say to him. Yes, Levi chose Armin in the end. Why? That was a reason only the captain knew.

"But, know that he did it for a reason. He saved you for a reason, Armin." I continued as he brought his eyes back down to his hands.

My attention was brought over to my right upon hearing the sound of wires nearby. Mikasa and Eren were rushing over to me as I jogged over to meet them halfway.

"How are Armin and Sasha doing?" Eren asked right away.

I gave them a nod, "Sasha's asleep. Armin, he's... still in shock. But, doing better."

For a moment, we stood still before I brought myself forward, enveloping them both in my arms. "Thank god you two are okay."

Their arms tightened around me, conveying the exact same words I just told them. I took a step back upon hearing more whirring gear and wires. Behind Eren and Mikasa were the two commanders landing on the wall. I gave a quick glance to the two in front of me as they nodded before heading over to Armin.

My heart skipped when I saw Levi. I hadn't seen him properly since the beginning of the expedition, and only shortly before he went off to search for Eren's basement.

I ran over quickly, being sure not to trip from the momentum my body produced. Levi handed some sort of book over to Hange as he saw me approach them. He took a few steps my direction as we now stood before each other.