eleven.

Reeves ended up trusting us and our plan, which was to capture the two MP's suspected of killing Pastor Nick. We were following close behind the wagon with Reeves, Sannes, and Ralph.

The wagon came to a halt before Sannes popped his head out to check if they had reached their destination. Jean butted him in the face with the back of his rifle, knocking him out as Mikasa did the same to Ralph.

We dragged them into the abandoned house we found on the outskirts beyond the wall. Levi had questions for the two MP's and we also had to lay low. We brought them down a flight of stairs, into a room of stone walls before Levi told us soldiers to go back up to the ground level.

"Emelie." he called out to me as I turned to see what he needed. "Tell Hange I'm down here when she arrives."

I nodded before going up the flight of stairs to find the others around the table in the corner. They all looked drained. Tired. Both physically and mentally.

It wasn't long before Hange arrived with Moblit. I did as told, informing her that Levi was just a level below, waiting for them both. It was about five minutes after they had arrived when the pained cries echoed from down the flight of stairs.

Conny let out a long sigh. "It starts again..."

"It sounds like the screams are louder than when the captain did it." Armin eyes were glued to the wall as his lips turned to a frown.

"Even though I know it's to save those two, it makes me sick." Conny mumbled.

"Let's face it. We're criminals now. The enemies that we're fighting... we're not trying to kill them because they're trying to eat us. It's because their views are different. No, just the group they belong to. And for that, their lives..." Armin stopped short, not being able to finish his sentence.

Mikasa stepped forward, "Armin..." she started softly.

"All of us... we're not good people anymore." the blonde admitted, arms folded across the table.

My lips parted before I pushed myself off the wall to place a hand on Armin's shoulder. He looked at me with guilty eyes, as did the others.

I shook my head at him, giving him my best of a comforting smile. "Don't say that, we're following orders... and those don't change who we are."

My words seemed to get through to them as we all went back to silence.

I let out a breath, clapping my hands together lightly to gain their attention. "Try to rest guys. I have a feeling we'll all need it."

Armin, Conny, Sasha, and Jean didn't hesitate. All four of them placed their heads onto the table to get as much shut eye as they could manage before the next thing we had to carry out.

"Emelie, I think you need to take a rest yourself." Mikasa said to me, worry lacing her tone.

My eyes followed her gaze down to my hands. My hands were clenched together, so hard that skin on my knuckles had lost their normal coloration and were now white. As I stared down at my palms, I realized there were deep imprints from my fingernails and that I was shaking. I looked back at Mikasa, opening my mouth but no words came, only a small weak whimper.

"It's alright, I'll keep watch." she patted my shoulder before motioning me over to the stairs to go relax a little.

If that was even possible.

It wasn't safe to go outside. So, I went down a level, nearly flinching at the horrid sounds coming from the other side of the metal door at the end of the steps. I passed by quickly, going down the hallway and around the corner. There I found the exact same layout as upstairs, a table with a few burning candles, some chairs, a bench, and a few cabinets in the corner. I went over to the side, occupying my mind to ignore the screams coming from down the hall.