four.

Nine days before.

I woke up to the sunlight streaming through the frame of my window. I rolled onto my side, the hands on the clock reading it was seven in the morning. I pushed against my palm to sit up from my bed. It was then when the soreness spread through my ribs. I have been sore before. But, I had to admit this was worse than any normal training. I could barely move without feeling my muscles tense or the lingering pain whenever I inhaled.

It took me some time, but I persisted, trying my best to ignore my current state with freshening up and readying my pack. Facing the mirror, I wrapped my green cloak over my shoulders to conceal my scout uniform underneath before my eyes fell upon the bandage on my chin.

I decided to take the gauze off. My eyes twitched at the sight, the skin worse than last night. But I was also relieved. My nose looked completely unharmed, and I was thankful there was no bruise from the punch I had received yesterday.

I made my way out of the cabin, peeking out of the front door to see the rest of the squad members already outside, dressed the exact same as me. They were talking amongst themselves as Levi stood nearby waiting for Hange to arrive.

The sound of the closing door made their heads turn over in my direction, a collective look of surprise spread on their faces to see me up and ready to go. Jean, Conny, and Sasha especially, their eyes almost popping out of their sockets.

I approached Levi first, stopping in front of him as he looked at me. His face was neutral, neither impressed nor disappointed. I didn't expect anything different from the captain.

He surveyed over my chin, absent of any covering. "Didn't expect you to be here today."

"You said it yourself captain. Scouts don't have breaks."

He raised an eyebrow as I passed him by to greet my fellow comrades who looked just as surprised that I spoke that way to my superior.

We all went along to the stables to ready our rides as we waited for Hange squad. I pulled out an apple from my bag before sneakily giving it to my horse, who happily crunched away at the fruit. I glanced over my shoulder to see Levi also readying his horse. His hand gently stroked across the horse's muzzle, his eyes displaying some sort of admiration; something he did not usually express to humans.

Mikasa came to my side, breaking my focus away from Levi. "What are you looking at?"

Her eyes trailed over to where my eyes were, eyebrows furrowing to when they met the captain.

"Did he do something?" she growled lowly.

"Other than the incident yesterday? No." I laughed at her defensive reaction as I lied right through my teeth.

Mikasa squinted at me in suspicion, obviously not taking my quick response as the truth. I assumed I could tell her what had happened a little later. I did not want the whole squad hearing about last night. Mikasa, I trusted, would keep this to herself, even if she did not exactly like that it happened.

Just then we heard hooves scuffing against the dirt path as Hange and her squad had arrived. Hange jumped off of her horse, handing the reigns over to her right hand man, Moblit. She spoke to Levi for a moment, and I couldn't help but laugh at their height difference. Not that I should have, for Levi was my height, if anything an inch or two taller. I watched them nosily as Hange nodded at something Levi had informed her about before she started over to me. I was greeted with a smile and a gentle hug which contrasted her normal embraces or rough but playful punches to the arm.

"Nice to see you too, Hange."

"Likewise Altmann." her eyes flicked to my chin, "Levi told me what happened yesterday, I'm sorry you had to go through that, but I am impressed that you're on your feet."