bonus chapter: two

I walked into Jackson's room, sitting my things on the table. He smiled at me then turned his attention back to his phone.

Richard's words had been on my mind. This couldn't be the surge, I mean, he's too active.

He'd been awake, talking and laughing with everyone, especially Catherine. I rolled my eyes at the thought.

She visited Jackson almost everyday like she didn't have a life of her own. I get that it's her son but, I mean, come on.

Today was the day Jackson was being discharged. He said he felt better and the labs proved it so Mer decided to send him home.

"They're not wheeling me out!" He argued.

"It's protocol, Jack." I replied, annoyed with the debate.

"I can walk! I mean, come on. I've spent weeks laying in this bed, and now that my leg is renewed, I can't even use it? What kind of sense does that make?"

"You'll have time to figure that out in that hospital bed if you don't get your ass in the wheelchair."

He stared at me before groaning and smacking his lips.

"Fine. I'm gonna complain the whole way though."

And indeed he did. I consistently shook my head at the man-child.

Upon arriving home, the twins instantly greeted him while my teenage kids paid him no mind.

He slowly made his way upstairs and into our bedroom. The twins stayed on his heels, both telling him about what they made.

I chuckled hearing some of the things as I put away the bags. Sky climbed on the bed, laying next to Jackson.

"I missed you, daddy."

"I missed you too, sweet girl. You too, Kai! What's up, man?"

Kai smiled, leaning next to Jackson.

"JJ taught me how to play football."

"He did? You some skills, and why am I just now hearing about this?" Jackson questioned, looking to me.

"Yes, he's doing well and it was their decision not to tell you."

He looked back to Kai, upset.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

Kai crossed his arms, twisting his body side to side.

"I wanted to surprised you. Surpriseeeeee! Are you surprised, Dad?" He excitingly shouted.

Sky and I laughed while Jackson checked to see if his ears still worked.

"Yes, I'm definitely surprised, and probably deaf now. Thanks, son."

"You're welcome." Kai innocently smiled.

"Alright, guys, dad needs a shower so you gotta go."

"Can I take a shower with daddy?" Sky asked as she got off the bed.