three

"Stop compressions." I instructed.

The nurse backed up while I checked for a pulse. I blew my hair out of the way, heavily breathing.

"I'm calling it." I spoke before looking at the clock.

"What?! No!" The mother cried.

"Time of death: 14:52." Her mother sobbed. I snatched my gloves off, quickly leaving the room.

Alex saw me, putting his arm out to stop me but I kept walking. I went to the bathroom, deeply sighing. Alex entered shortly after, standing next to me.

"There was nothing anyone could've done. She threw a clot, by the time it was detectable, it was too late " He tried consoling me.

"She made it through 2 surgeries and came out healthy, only to throw a clot. God.." I pushed out, still in disbelief.

"Look, if it makes you feel better you have dibs on my next surgery."

"I have surgeries of my own, Alex." I said, lightly laughing.

"Hey, I'm trying here. I know what it feels like to lose a kid; there isn't anything that someone can say to make you feel better."

"Well, I appreciate you trying."

He nodded, turning to head towards the door as it was pushed open. Callie stopped when she saw Alex, looking between us before shaking her head.

"I'm not even gonna ask."

"Good. Don't." Alex dryly said, moving past her.

"I lost a tiny human." I told her before walking away.

I saw Jackson in the lab, doing some research. I pushed the door open, walking in and to his workspace. He looked up then back down, not acknowledging me.

"Well, hello to you, too." I greeted him.

"Hey."

"You were gone before I woke up. I haven't talked to you all day and all I get is a plain hey?"

"I'm sorry, I had to get here early. I've been doing some research. Did you need something?"

"Actually, no, I didn't. I have a patient to check on." I walked away from him and out the door.

I made my way to the E.R. for a consult. As I approached April, her eyes expressed nervousness while she put on a fake smile.

"Sage, hi. How are you today? What are- what are you doing in the E.R.?"

"You paged me." I dryly stated.

"Oh, right. Bed 6."

I grabbed the tablet from her and walked through the E.R., stopping at bed 6. I paused, looking at my mom sitting on the bed. Glancing at her chart, I shook my head in disbelief.

"Am I hallucinating?"

"No. I thought I told her not to page you." She sighed.