thirty-eight

"Get your son." I uttered.

My hand hit the empty space next to me, reminding me that my husband had left. It was another day filled with frustratingly trying to get all of us ready and be at work on time.

My phone vibrated with yet another message from my baby daddy. I wasn't exactly talking to him this past week. I was angry with him, telling myself that I'd do the same when he got back but I wasn't sure if I could.

"Get a room." Carlos said to Daveed and Mer who were kissing.

I clicked the button for the second floor, laughing at the hypocrite.

"You and Raven literally suck each other's face off all the time. That's why she's pregnant now."

"Look at it like this, though. We've been sucking face this entire time and she's just now pregnant. Clearly, I'm doing some right."

"Not if there's a baby in the oven, Carlos." Daveed added.

Carlos flipped him off, walking out as the elevator doors open. I held them open, facing Meredith.

"Learn from them, Mer. Zola, Bailey and Ellis are enough. I don't want to deliver any more babies from you so keep your semen to yourself, Armahd."

He threw his hands up in surrender before wrapping them around her waist. I scoffed at the sight in front of me, missing my husband.

~

I deeply sighed, looking at my parents' front door. Aunt Mir had dragged me over here, protesting that it was time for us to stop this foolishness, even though I did nothing wrong.

"Hi, how can.." Mom stopped when she saw us.

"What do you want?" She snapped. Aunt Mir looked at me, confused, then back at Mom.

"I know you aren't talking to me."

Mom went to close the door but Aunt Mir stopped her, pushing it open. Mom was about four inches taller than her so it was a little funny seeing her small self go against her.

"Miranda? What are you doing here?" Dad asked, limping over with his cane.

Mom closed the door, coming to stand near him as she wore a angry look.

"Is there something you need?" She asked.

"Yes, actually there is. I need you to stop being neglectful parents. This is your daughter, it does not matter what happened between you all, she is still your biological child. You've already lost one, I'd think you'd cherish the other."

"You don't know anything." Mom said.

"I don't? I remember being in this family longer than you, Lana. Is there something you wanna say, Jerome?"

She cut into her then turned to him. I played with Jada, moving things around in the dollhouse while they bickered.

"I know that she is our daughter, you don't need to preach to us. Look at me, Miranda! I can't even walk without the cane! I can't stand up for long, I'm not the same, thanks to her."