fourteen

"Hello?" I answered my ringing phone.

"Auntie Sage. Mommy's bleeding. I called 911, they're coming." Zola rambled.

"What's wrong, Zo?"

"She's having a baby."

I tied the strings on my sweats, sliding my feet into my sneakers. Jada watched me, confused.

"A baby? Where are you guys?"

"San Diego."

holy shit, Meredith..

I mentally cursed. Meredith disappeared after Derek's death. She'd been gone for 8 months. She left without a note or notice, barely talked to anyone.

His death was too much for her, she said she needed time. He was hit by a semi truck after stopping to help victims of a car crash. The doctors at Dillard Medical Center didn't even truly care if he lived.

My parents were in Costa Rica for the week so I'd been with Jada. I went to resign because I couldn't deal with seeing Jackson or his mother everyday.

Richard managed to talk me down to taking leave so I was at home for most of my pregnancy.

"Okay. Go with the paramedics and I will see you soon."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I'll be there as soon as I can Zo."

~

We were officially in San Diego. I drove since I was barely speaking to the Avery's, I didn't wanna ask them to use the jet. Airlines declined me also because I was 37 weeks.

"Come on, ladybug." I lifted Jada out of the car, putting her on my hip.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I heard a voice behind me.

I turned to see Alex approaching. I continued to stare at him as he took Jada and her bag from my arms.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"I'm Mer's emergency contact."

"Did you just get here?"

"Yeah, like 5 minutes ago. Parking's a bitch." He complained as we walked into the hospital.

"Alexander."

"Sorry." He told Jada.

"Hi, we're here to see Meredith Grey." I told the receptionist.

One of the nurses took us to her room where she laid, staring out the window.

"Some people are here to see you."

Meredith looked at us, weakly smiling.

"Hi!"

"You look like crap." Alex insulted, sitting at the end of her bed while I sat in the chair.

Jada looked at Mer then smiled. She never met her but she saw so many photos of Meredith. Jada slowly crawled up to Mer.