fifty-two

I rolled my eyes, ready to leave the dinner as Catherine and Richard bickered.

"You haven't been around enough to notice, have you?" She yelled.

"Well, that would be hard since I no longer work at the same hospital."

"Because you took a job at a glorified clinic just to spite your own wife."

"I didn't have a choice after I was fired from the one she owns." His phone went off.

"Don't you even look at that phone, Richard Webber." He snarled, looking down at the phone.

"Why didn't you just invite her since you can't go 20 minutes without texting?"

"Invite who?" Maggie questioned.

"His girlfriend. Some Pac-North heifer." Catherine replied.

"Oh. I don't have a girlfriend, Catherine. Something I've been trying to drill in your thick skull for months!"

"Well, I don't believe you."

"See for yourself."

"Can we not do this now?" Jackson pleaded while Catherine snatched Richard's phone.

"You wouldn't dare." She gasped.

"I certainly would."

"Dare what?" I inquired.

"I've been talking to Karev about making Maggie an offer to run our cardio department. He approved the offer."

"Oh, Richard, this is ridiculous."

"Is this what you wanted to tell us earlier?"

"No! We wanted to tell you that we're separating. It was supposed to be quiet and loving, not a potluck." Catherine complained.

"You're separating?" Jackson asked in disbelief.

"How long has this been going on?"

"Who cares? It's over now." Catherine grabbed the wine bottle, leaving the room.

"I'm sorry you had to hear it this way. I really am. Excuse me." Richard said, leaving the room.

"I will get the kids ready." I whispered, getting up.

~

"Please tell me I can come over tomorrow night." Tuck begged as soon as I walked in the door.

"Tuck, leave her alone!" Aunt Mir yelled.

"She said she was gonna tell me when she came over and she's here so I wanna know."

"Dude, I need some help." I heard another boy's voice coming from the living room.

"Who's that?"

"That's.. Joey." Ben responded, throwing a glare at Aunt Mir then going into their bedroom and shutting the door.

Once I got the kids settled, she introduced me to a boy, who looked to be around Tuck's age.

"Sage, this is Joey. Joey, this is Sage. Joey will be staying with us for a while."

"Oh. Okay, nice to meet you."

"You, too."

"I'm gonna give your controller to Rae if you don't focus." Tuck told him.

"Quite the full house."

"Yeah. It gets a little rowdy sometimes but I like it.." she smiled.

"What about you? Where's your husband?"

"He is at therapy. They want to get his muscles back to their correct strength. After, we're finding out what I'm having."

"Oh, I hope you have a strong, healthy baby."

"Is it bad for me to ask for a PB & J sandwich?" She laughed.

"You want me to make it?" I nodded.

"Fine. I guess I can make everyone's snack."

While she did her thing, I went into their bedroom. Ben sat against the headboard, watching the football game, unamused.

"I thought you would be more excited that your team's winning."

"I'm happy. It's great for them.."

I shut the door behind me, going to sit next to him.

"What's up, old man?"

"Nothing. I'm good."

"You glared at the wife you adore so much. Does this have something to do with Joey?"

"I'm not blaming him; she brought him in without asking me, talking to me, running it by me. What kind of marriage is that?"

"You know, sometimes she acts on what she believes is right."

"And I'm all for it. I totally support her, and I welcomed him in. It's just that, in a marriage, you are supposed to discuss things-big things! She should've discussed this with me."

"Are you looking for a pity party? Grow up, Ben. I know you're hurt, I know there are big decisions that our partners make, and don't run by us first. My husband bought a yacht, a yacht; I only recently found out about it."

"Weren't you mad, though? I mean, he bought a boat without telling you."

"What satisfaction will come out of him getting rid of the boat? It will only make him, possibly, resent me which will lead to a bad marriage. It's not worth it. Just talk to her, tell her how you feel and let her soak it in."

He turned back to the TV, slowly nodding.

••••••••••••••••••••••

hi, again! I do want to let you guys know that the book will be coming to an end soon. thanks for your love.