bonus chapter: seventeen

"What happens when you regret it?"

"What? How could you say that? I won't regret it." Jackson crossed his arms.

"How do you know? I'm not saying this because I want you to stay at Grey Sloan. Think about our life, Jack. Why would you want to give all of this up?"

"I'm not giving our life up and it’s not about what I want. It’s what I need to do. I’m not running from something. I’m trying to run to something. Trying to make something my own."

The thunder loudly rumbled causing the kids to shift in their sleep. Jackson sighed, holding off until we knew they were asleep again.

"Babe, this isn't just about upending our life because there is no way I'm going without you. I love all the moments we share with the kids, you don't know how happy it makes me. I could never give that up going to Boston but I can’t walk away from this chance to make real change in the foundation."

"This isn't just a few hospitals, Jackson. You are taking on the entire foundation which will take up all your time. Then what, I'm basically a single mom with a nice ring?"

"I mean, Mom was able to do both. And I know in my gut, that I can, too. I owe it to our kids to try, at least. I know I can’t do it all, but, baby, I am telling you, I can take this foundation to a whole new chapter. I mean, creating real racial equity in medicine. Are you kidding? It’s a revolutionary, lasting change." He joyfully laughed to himself.

"I could look our kids in the face and know that I’ve done everything I possibly can to give them a better world. I know. I just know that I could do all that and be the father that mine never was. Don't you believe in me?"

"Of course I do but I'm simply asking you to think. My job, the kids school, their activities, our community... There are so many things to consider."

"We'll ask the kids then. See what they think."

"And if they agree, you can sign your name on our divorce papers."

He scoffed, plopping on the couch.

"You're gonna pull that card.. hm. Why the hell would you even say that? After all we've been through.."

"Because I refuse to spend the rest of my marriage resenting my husband."

"Resenting, for what?"

"This! Right here! You aren't listening to me, Jackson. I tell you to think about this and you override my voice with 'it'll be fine, it's handled'. If you can't even respect me enough to actually hear me, I refuse to move across the country."

He loudly groaned, trying to show his frustration. With nothing else being said, I went to the bedroom, going to bed.

The next morning, by the time I awoke, almost everyone was ready to go. I made her my bag was fully packed then carried it to the door.

"Good morning mommy!"

"Good morning, my love." I dropped the bag, going to kiss Sky's forehead.

"I had a dream last night. Wanna hear about it?"

"No one cares!" JJ yelled, finishing his bowl of cereal.