bonus chapter: six

"I'm starting to remember pieces.."
I softly told Jackson.

His closed eyes popped open, showcasing his tired eyes. He rolled over, snuggling closer to me under the blanket.

"What was that?"

"I'm starting to remember. I had no clue but Rae put details into place... It may not be enough to help, though."

"Sweetheart, she remembers clearly. She can help the police identify the suspects. Stop stressing yourself.."

I sighed, slightly moving his head to face me.

"I was supposed to have her back, Jackson. Instead, I got beaten.. thank God she wasn't hurt or I could never forgive myself. And still... All I can do is stand by and watch her struggle.."

Jackson lifted his body, turning to fully face me.

"You know I felt like that with Sloan.."

"Like what?"
I lowly asked.

"When he died... There was nothing I could do but stand by and watch as he depended on those tubes. It's always been Plastics Posse for life.. only life ran out for him."

He looked down, sniffling and wiping a tear. His eyes searched for the remote, turning on the TV.

"What have I told you about hiding your emotions, Avery? Don't try to distract me."

"Shh.." He shushed me, pressing his finger to my lips then pointing to the screen.

"-angry at police officers, some even calling it an overkill. In the video, Mr. Floyd can be heard informing the officers that he was unable to breathe..."

"They can't be serious." Jackson whispered.

"Chauvin was taken into custody on Friday afternoon, according to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety." The woman spoke.

"What the hell?"

Jackson quickly typed on his phone, scrolling then scoffing.

"So, he was arrested after he allegedly used a counterfeit bill at a convenience store."

"Chauvin, 44, placed his left knee on Mr Floyd's neck and shoulder, and kept it there for more than nine minutes, according to prosecutors. Two other officers helped pin him down, while another prevented witnesses from intervening.."

"This is brutal." I voiced.

"More than 20 times Mr Floyd said he could not breathe. The video shows him going limp and being carried away by police... He was pronounced dead in hospital an hour later.

"The four officers involved in the incident were fired from the Minneapolis Police Department. That same night, hundreds of protesters flooded into the Minneapolis streets.."

Multiple videos played of people rioting and causing chaos.

"Some businesses, including restaurants and an auto-parts store, were set on fire. Demonstrators vandalized police vehicles with graffiti and targeted the precinct house where the four officers had been assigned. Protests also occurred in the city in the subsequent days. Officers using tear gas and firing rubber bullets into crowds to calm them down.."