bonus chapter: nineteen

"So, you're going to fulfill this new leadership position from Boston?" Aunt Mir asked.

"I am." Jackson replied.

"Not here, in Seattle, where you work? For me."

"Nope."

"And you're taking Sage? Who also works for me.."

Jackson glanced to me then back to her, holding out the paper.

"My official resignation. I have to take off first thing in the morning."

"What?!"

"Bailey, I know it's sudden, and I apologize. It's just... It's a really good thing. The work I'm gonna be able to do, the changes we'll be able to enact from the foundation... It's gonna be really great for all of us."

Aunt Mir looked to me then Richard, huffing.

"It would have been better if you'd have left me a surgeon who's double board certified in plastics and ENT."

"Pretty good list of recommendations on the second page there." He smirked when she looked at it.

"Wait. Why am I the only one who's surprised? Did you know about this?"

"I did. It wasn't my news to share." Richard confessed.

"I went to see my dad, who I realized my entire life has shown me exactly the kind of man I never want to be. Checked out and unwilling to really fight for anything." Jackson said, smiling.

"The two of you showed me the opposite. Example after example of not giving in to hopelessness and despair and consistently resist complacency. You get up over and over and over again and fight. I learned the kind of surgeon, the kind of father, the kind of person I wanted to become from you. I'm always gonna be grateful for that."

"We're proud of you, Avery." Aunt Mir grinned.

"I'm proud of you, son." Richard said, hugging him.

"And Sage? Am I losing my best neonatologist too?"

They all turned to me, waiting for my answer. I cleared my throat, remembering my conversation with Rae.

"Are you really divorcing dad?"

"I don't want to talk about that. Have you started packing?"

"Don't treat me like a kid, mom. I heard you guys in Montana. You said you would leave him if we agreed to move to Boston. So, are you staying here?" She rambled.

"Raegan, please.." I huffed, growing annoying as I thought about our debate.

"Fine. All I'm saying is, don't break the family up. He has you covered with a job and whatever you want. We're happy too. Hopefully there will be some cute boys."

"How long ago did you and Joseph break up?" I inquired.

"Not that long but he's old news. Boston is new news and I'm ready.."